Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (160 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 228

John Wogec, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: vin id
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the plate that came with the car then it should be possible to use them -- but I think there is a special fee and form and the number can't have been later reissued with another series plate so may need research..

You might have to make an appointment with DMV or use their call line to speak to a live person and explain to a supervisor. May need to show them what you have and want to do and have them clear the number. If any special fees were not paid they could be hanging things up. I think old plates come under the specialty category like the save the whales and parks and all those various money makers.

I ran into that fee problem when taking the 47 from non-op to regular status. The renewal form just said send the normal renewal $$ to license the car again. No where did it mention an administrative fee or how much extra was also required so renewal was denied. Once I sat on hold for an hour or two and got a live person on line she said there was an extra fee needed and once that was received the registration would process. I sent the extra and received stickers a few days later.

Posted on: 2015/5/9 12:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
hi h,

they are saying the cop is a lair ,,

my mistake was not going back in the DMV, when i saw number was not changed,,i was not feeling, well,, i made the appt, and went, cause it takes weeks to get in.

the supervisor wants proof that plates came from car,,,that was not the issue,

i sent her all this,, they don't believe a cop...

One more email to director, with this ,, and nothing happens,,its to the press.....let the media expose this fraud,,,,

Attach file:

jpg  (213.76 KB)
4498_554e4ea72733e.jpg 808X1047 px

jpg  (96.90 KB)
4498_554e4eb614bfc.jpg 808X1044 px

Posted on: 2015/5/9 13:20
Riki
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
To use YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates, a the CA DMV has a bunch of rules that must be followed:

1) The plates must be of the same year as your car. So for example, you can't use a 1960s era "black plate" on a 1947 car. You would have to find a set of the plates that are the same style that was available in 1947.

2) You must have TWO matching plates. One won't do it since Calif requires a front and back plate.

3) They have to be real Calif plates, not a reproduction. Using a reproduction is actually illegal in the state of Calif for on road vehicles.

4) The number must not be currently in use by another vehicle. You may have the a set of perfect YOM plates, but if that number was already reissued be someone in a '96 Toyota Corolla because your YOM plates was not registered for a long time, then you are screwed. You'll have to find another yet of YOM plates that are "DMV Clear" aka number not already in use by another car.

5) Now you may see people with "Black Plates" that on a vehicle that is older that when those plates were issued. That can happen if the plates were issued at the time those plates were in service (aka 1960s), and the vehicle has been pretty much continuously registered since then, or at least still in the system between registrations. If not, you're screwed, and they will issue you brand new plates.

Trust me, I jumped through all kinds of hoops to get my car registered in Calif. My car was no longer listed in the system, no title, and last registered using the engine serial number in 1982. My car only had one "black plate" on it, so I couldn't use it and it is now a wall hanger in my garage. And sorry to say, that is pretty much what will happen with your plates if your car was not continuously registered with those plates since they were originally issued.

If you can find any previous registration slips with the info on them, that is your best chance of "Proving" anything. Luckily for me, I was able to find a half rat chewed registration slip from 1982 in the glovebox, where the numbers matched everything on the car. And with that, I was able to locate the owner from 1982, who signed the form for the replacement title form for me. Without that, I may have still been going in circles.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 12:51
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also.... I used a 3rd party vehicle verifier, and completed everything at my local AAA office to skip the BS and lines at the local DMV.

Posted on: 2015/5/11 12:53
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
yes, kev,

that's where i am at, so stupid ,,, plates are not in use, but they want something showing plate was with car, i am trying to change that,

cause it does not add up,,,,,you can buy used plates, and use them,,

Posted on: 2015/5/15 11:36
Riki
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Right, but the plates you can buy have to be of the same year (or years) of the plates that are correct for your car. You can't buy 1965 ere Black Plates and use on a 1954 car which used a differnt style Black Plate with a metal year tag for instance, as those don't qualify as YOM (Year of Manufacture) plates.

You can only use those plates if you can prove they were registered to that car, AND that number was not reissued to another vehicle. A prior registration slip is you best evidence, because unless you have that, or it was already in their system with your VN registered to that plate, there is no way for the DMV to confirm that was the plate was actually registered to that VN. In the DMVs mind, you or a prior owner could have taken those plates from another vehicle.

If they find that plate number was indeed reassigned to another vehicle, there is absolutely nothing you can do. The state will not allow two vehicles to have the same number.

Not trying to discourage your fight for this, just letting you know where the rubber meets the road.

Here is a link showing the correct plates for the correct years to qualify as YOM, unless you can prove that plate was registered to your vehicle, and the number is not currently in use. As you can see the styles changes, and the earlier plates are stamped with the year. Between 1942-1955 there was also a metal year tag that was used on the plates, and I believe that is required as well to use YOM plates.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_California#Base_plate_colors_1913_to_1962

Posted on: 2015/5/15 14:30
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
thanks kev,

dvm, also has paint chart, you can paint them, for the year,

i am only trying to use plates on car which are 60s plates,

AAA, police,,DMV, ran the plates they are not in use,

Posted on: 2015/5/15 16:11
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Riki,
You can not paint a license plate either, refer to section 4464 CA Vehicle Code, its a misdemeanor. I see a lot of guys are painting them lately, but CHP is catching on with the amount of classic car thefts. They can seize the plates and issue a citation maybe even tow the car. Your car might be held until a VIN inspector (CHP) has a good look. I can just see a street cop looking for the "VIN" on a Packard, most do not know. If your car is towed and stored until the VIN Inspector gets there you might be in for tow and storage fees also.
Good luck

B.

Posted on: 2015/5/15 23:32
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
desk,

as long as its the same year as plate you can paint them,,,,,dmv said i needed to, you cannot customize them,

but now i am dealing with a sup. 5, she said what kev, said, but its bull.

cause, you can buy used plates, use them as long as they are not in system, with no paper trail.

but i cannot use the plates on the car, that are not in the system,,,unless i have paper trail.......its nuts.......

Posted on: 2015/5/16 8:51
Riki
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The problem you are having is you're trying to use plates that are NOT YOM correct for your vehicle. So unless you can prove those plates were used to last register the vehicle (still in the system, or previous registration slip), then you are fighting a losing battle with the DMV.

Since that plate number is no longer in the system, just order one of the new YOM style plates the state is producing now, and have them make it with the same number you currently have. This is pretty much your best option, and would look "more correct" on your car IMHO.

Posted on: 2015/5/18 12:24
-BigKev

Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved