Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
174 user(s) are online (101 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 174

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil LIght Flicker
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

52Packard
See User information
Drove my 1952 Packard 200 around today; medium heat; noticed the oil light came on at idle. Let the car sit for a few hours to cool, then drove again. No oil light. Didn't know if it was the beginning of a bad oil sending unit, sensor, etc. Only seems to come on after an extended drive. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted on: 2015/6/28 21:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil LIght Flicker
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
An occasional flicker at idle is OK according to Packard but if it gets worse then several things could cause the issue. As you said the sender could be getting tired or could be the oil is thinning a bit more because of the heat or maybe something has contaminated the oil. With thinned oil any bearing clearance that is getting a bit at the higher end of spec could be allowing more seepage. Possibly a different oil or viscosity would help.

Attach file:

jpg  (27.38 KB)
209_5590adae42e82.jpg 660X194 px

Posted on: 2015/6/28 21:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you need to replace the oil pressure warning light sender, there are two things to consider.

Generally, the units can be had with different pressure ratings. If you choose one with a low pressure rating, then you may not get some flickering of the light at idle with a warm engine. Which is what you are experiencing now.

If you choose one with a higher pressure rating, you may have the light come on all the time at idle. But, the higher pressure switch offers a benefit. It will come on sooner than the low pressure one which will give you more of a warning for low oil pressure.

We used to say that if the oil pressure light came on when driving the car at speed it was called "Your Engine Is Junk Light".

I would go with a high pressure rated switch and suffer the light coming on at idle.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/29 9:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

52Packard
See User information
Thank you, Howard for the info. I'm changing the oil this weekend, so a grade change will be in order! I appreciate your response.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 16:56
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved