Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
224 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 224

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Proposed Modern Packard V12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
In the 50's as we all know Packard toyed with the idea of building a new Twin Six. At the time Dick Stout Packard product planner they would have used a 320 cid Clipper block as the basis for the new V12. The engine would have been 480 cid, with a tooling costing $750,000.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/15 21:48
REMEMBERING BRAD BERRY MY PACKARD TEACHER
 Top  Print   

Re: Proposed Modern Packard V12
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mathew Rattray
See User information
There is a proposed modern Packard V12. The name was bought by Roy Gullickson his website www.packardmotorcar.com has some details on his prototype vehicle. I believe that this vehicle was on display at the 1999 centenary. The company name & prototype is up for sale ... again

As stated on packardmotorcar.com ...

" - May 10 2007
The owners of Packard Motor Car Company are offering the Company for sale. Assets include the Packard Automobile Name Trademark, the Packard V-12 running prototype, engineering data and photo files, and spare parts and toolage. "

Posted on: 2008/11/18 4:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just a minor point, the Gullickson car for some unexplainable reason was not on display the the Packard Centennial in Warren. For whatever reason he chose to display it in Cleveland, I believe it was at the Western Reserve Museum, not exactly the place to capture the fancy of several thousand Packard enthusiasts a few miles down the road.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
The Gullickson Packard V-12 prototype was on display at the 1999 Centenary, but at the Packards International one in Orange, CA. I was there and looked at it. Personally, I was not impressed as the only thing "Packard" about it that I could see was a 1949-50 style grille. Otherwise, it looked generic.

Craig

Posted on: 2008/11/18 9:45
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Wasn't it a shame that petty little bickering minds couldn't set their squabbles aside for 5 days, for what would be a once-in-a-lifetime event and have a combined centennial celebration!!

Posted on: 2008/11/18 10:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
Owen.I hear nothing about the 1965 Packard V12 featured in the Packard Cormorant issue # 107 summer 2002.You have a neighbor who said he has two of those V12s in his garage.You don't think its a fake, do you?

Posted on: 2008/11/18 20:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
GTO: To PAC's credit a couple of years later they withdrew support of the story. A couple of posters in here BH, PackardV8, Turbopackman, and myself along with others helped put enough pressure on PAC to withdraw support of the story.

It took a couple of years for them to admit their mistake. The good thing that came out of that mess is that it helped expose the author of the story as a fraud. I don't think that person has been able to publish any stories since.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard53
See User information
Owen: I have always been under the impression that the petty little bickering minds, that wouldn't allow the Gullickson Packard to be shown, were the people and clubs running the show at Warren in 1999.

John F. Shireman

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
John, I don't think it was that simple, and at this point in time I no longer want to know the details, but I know PI was asked to participate and for whatever reasons chose to go it on their own.

Posted on: 2008/11/18 21:22
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Well, I suspect that PI was formed, and continues to exist today, for some very legitimate reasons. Actually, I'm glad they're around; a little competition helps keep everyone on their toes.

That aside, there are probably more people who are members of both clubs, rather than just one or the other, but there are also plenty of Packard enthusiasts who have no interest in being either, yet they help keep the fire burning, too.

While it would have been nice to have both clubs pulling in the same direction to obtain the maximum number of cars and people at the Centennial, I find that the more people involved, the harder it is to get them all to agree to the same thing. As fate would have it, I only had a couple afternoons to spend at the Centennial, but there was plenty enough to take in.

Although I never saw Gullickson's Packard in person, I don't think I missed much.

Posted on: 2008/11/19 11:18
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved