Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
114 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 113

winger, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Drone Video - Packard Proving Grounds
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
The 2015 Packard Proving Ground Open House was this past Sunday, October 18th and we had a great turnout. One of the Motor City Packards members brought along some friends that produce videos using a drone. They shot some great footage and posted the results on YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJClpdJNH2Y&sns=em

The weather was sunny but the high temperature was only 48 degrees - still we had a big turnout. Some 33 Packards showed up, over 325 collector cars came by and we are still trying to get a good count on attendance. IMHO I would estimate 1,500 people passed through the front gate. There are more photos on the PPG Facebook page - look here:
https://www.facebook.com/Packard-Proving-Grounds-Historic-Site-113306305392346/photos/

You may wonder what the stacks of white material are doing on the roof of the Repair Garage. Work has started on insulating and re-roofing the building. Reason? We are finally getting heat and air-conditioning installed.

This is a major undertaking for the Packard Motor Car Foundation as it will extend our rental season from 6 months to year-round use. Back in 1928 when Packard constructed the building it was never insulated, so that is being added now. The coal-fired boiler is now history and will be replaced with a modern, fuel efficient HVAC system. This is a major hit to our budget and we are still looking for your support to help pay for it. Donations are graciously accepted.

Posted on: 2015/10/19 19:12
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Re: Drone Video - Packard Proving Grounds
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Roger, as always - congratulations to you and all the other volunteers on your accomplishments in restoring and preserving the proving grounds. We all owe you a debt of gratitude and financial backing. I will continue to support your efforts with contributions.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/10/20 11:27
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
Great video.

Posted on: 2015/10/20 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Quote:

JW wrote:
Roger, as always - congratulations to you and all the other volunteers on your accomplishments in restoring and preserving the proving grounds. We all owe you a debt of gratitude and financial backing. I will continue to support your efforts with contributions.

(o{}o)

Hello JW:

Thanks for your kind words and your continued financial support - it keeps our volunteers motivated.

Last Sunday we had 32 volunteers working to make the event a success. I don't know what I would do without them. During our 26 week summer season we hosted 81 events this year. This means I have folks working nearly round the clock at the PPG.

For example; last week we had weddings both Friday and Saturday night. They wind up at midnight and then it takes until 1:00AM to 1:30AM to clean up the place and get ready for the next day. On Sunday (Open House) we had folks back on site at 8:00 AM for set-up duty and we closed down at 5:00 PM, then we cleaned up the site and re-locked the gates at 6:00 PM. It makes for a FULL day.

Tom and his wife Kathy were in charge of the Open House - just as they have been doing for the last few years. Like many of our volunteers they do not own a Packard, but are interested in saving a piece of Detroit's automotive history.

Notice that I continually use the term "volunteers" because that is what they are - no one draws a salary at the PPG.

Best, --Roger--

Posted on: 2015/10/20 19:03
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved