Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
250 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 248

JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Ignition switch ground
Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Is there any way to ground the switch to the dash? I have a after market one want the original one.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 3:38
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print   

Re: Ignition switch ground
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Need more info on what you are trying to do as none of the postwar Packard switches need to be grounded to function. There is a light on the original switch that would need ground. If it is something special, the metal dash is ground so if your switch mounts tightly with the bezel or nut that came with it, the switch case would be grounded too.

As for using an aftermarket switch with the stock Packard bezel and spring mounting method, it depends on the switch. I have modified a couple of universal switches to work with the bezel but not all of the types available can be used because of the different size necks.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 9:37
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Agreed HH56, the question confuses me as well and we need to hear the problem restated. But when you state that none of the postwar Packard switches need to be grounded, don't the switches with the illumination around the lock tumbler require that the switch be grounded (which it inherently should be)?

Posted on: 2015/12/18 10:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, they do need ground for the light and you beat me to it. I was probably making that clarification by adding the "to function" to the sentence and the following sentence about the light right as you were posting your reply about my omission.

Posted on: 2015/12/18 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Do '55s have a lighted ignition switch or is it for '56 only?

Posted on: 2015/12/22 17:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Believe the lighted ignition switches started with the 23rd series in 49 and all following years had them.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 18:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Vesiapina
See User information
Really? And it's a standard equipment, not an option? Mine must be broken then! Have to check it out.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 19:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The lamp (bulb) for the ignition switch should be shown in the wiring diagrams when it was a feature. I just looked at the diagrams for several years in the 50s and they show the bulb.

Posted on: 2015/12/22 20:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The light should only be on when the headlight switch is in the first or parking light position. 55-56 bulb and socket are held to the ign switch by some clips on a sheet metal hood that fit into the slots on switch. The hood directs the light down into a piece of plastic which transmits the light to the front of bezel. If the hood assy has partially come out of the slots it could be directing the light away from the plastic or if the plastic is damaged like the piece in this broken bezel the light may not be transmitted.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.51 KB)
209_5679f220e1773.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (64.18 KB)
209_5679f27a3db1e.jpg 1280X961 px

Posted on: 2015/12/22 20:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Happy Holidays Everyone, The problem I'm having is that when the original switch is installed the ignition does not work. put in the aftermarket switch it works. I'm guessing there is not a good enough contact with the dash? so if one could hook up a ground on the outside of the switch would that help? The tabs on the bezel are a little bent also. straightened them out I'll try it out and let you guys know.

Posted on: 2015/12/24 21:25
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved