Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
198 user(s) are online (130 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 198

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Flywheel and bell housing question
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Hi. I have the converter removed and I am wondering how I'm supposed to remove the clutch looking plate and the flywheel. I see the bolts holding it to the flywheel, but since my engine is stuck I don't know how I'm supposed to get the top bolts.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 1:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Flywheel and bell housing question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Turn the engine over onto its top. Unbolt the pan, the con rod caps and the main bearing caps. It helps to gently tap the caps slightly to one side and the other while pulling them off. Remove the oil pickup pipe and strainer. Pull off the front pulley, the timing chain cover, and the timing chain. I usually just cut the old chain with a cutoff wheel to save hassle.

Then you and a robust friend or two lift the crank and torque convertor straight up and out. Make every effort to keep it level till it is free of all the bearings. You will need to turn it slightly as you go to disentangle it from the rods.

Actually, unbolt and remove the oil pan before you invert the engine--it will save all that gook running up into the block.

Ah, just reread your post and realize you have separated the two halves of the convertor. I hope you marked the two halves to maintain their relationship and kept track of any balance weights that were under the convertor screws. Otherwise, you will have to have the convertor rebalanced.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 7:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Yes I marked the position before I removed it. I'll have to see if I bagged the balance weights, I'm hoping I did. The problem is that I borrowed the engine lift from a friend and he needs it back... tomorrow. Would I be able to put the engine on the stand by the bell housing so I can get it back to him, and then do all of the work?

Posted on: 2015/12/30 11:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I do not recommend or hardly even think it is possible to hold up one of those engines by the bell housing. I always hold them up from the driver's side using 2 of the the 4 bolt holes that hold on the motor mount and the two bolt holes just to the rear of them. Will try to find a photo.

Attach file:

jpg  (101.94 KB)
618_5684216ca8c29.jpg 1023X980 px

Posted on: 2015/12/30 13:18
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Ok, thanks. Someone told me they made a special plate to mount it like that, can I bolt it on to the stand plate or would I have to make a special mount plate?

Posted on: 2015/12/30 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
Try some Marvel Mystery oil down the spark plug holes and let it sit a day or two then try to "unstick" the motor

Posted on: 2015/12/30 17:05
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried what seems like gallons of P/O and some Marvel Mystery oil with no luck. What is the best way to turn the engine over onto the top? I have it attached to the load leveler still but it is blocked on the ground.

Posted on: 2015/12/30 20:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Looking at this again, I forgot about mounting it sideways. I'm guessing the best way is to mount it on the stand and then flip it over

Posted on: 2015/12/31 0:12
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved