Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

j41157, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Distributor Cup Grease
Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Please forgive me if this is redundant; my searching hasn't turned up a solid recommendation for a grease for this application.

I tried wheel bearing grease in the cup on my 19th series 120 (Autolite IGP Distributor). I wasn't happy with the performance of it; way to thin, and didn't last at all. I think I ran through a whole cup full in less than 100 miles. Update: I forgot to add that the reason I had turned the cup so often was because it would develop a hint of a squeak, and after turning the squeak disappeared for a little while.

I called lubriplate and they recommended their 630-A:
https://www.lubriplate.com/PDFs/PDS/3_5-630-Series.aspx
Quote:
LUBRIPLATE No. 630-A is a heavy type NLGI No. 2.5 lubricant for applications requiring a cup type lubricant. Excellent for water pumps

Has anyone tried it? Maybe this is the grease we need? It looks like a promising solution, at a reasonable cost. The part number for the 14oz can is L0066-001.

Thanks,
Chad

Posted on: 2016/4/11 11:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Distributor Cup Grease
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have always used wheel bearing grease with good results. The cup only needs to be turned just a bit every 1,000 miles. If you turn the cup more frequently, you will squeeze the grease out of it and it will require refilling more frequently. No experience with the Lubriplate product.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/11 11:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Nice to hear you're paying attention to the distributor lubrication, it's all-to-commonly ignored. Don't forget a drop or two of motor oil on the felt under the rotor every so often. You might want to browse this:

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=861

JW's right, just enough of a turn of the cup to force a little new grease in every 1000 miles or so is appropriate. Really excessive over-lubricating can have a downside if you get enough inside that the centrifugal mechanism begins to whip it around like a mist - death to good ignition point life. Lots of folks use wheel bearing grease; white grease like Lubriplate is also OK. I still use old fashioned cup grease just because I have plenty; it's very "stiff", more like a very heavy paste than a mobile grease. Probably about the only advantage it has is that it's so stiff is doesn't leak out around the cup threads when you turn the cup like thinner greases tend to do.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
Gentlemen,

Thanks for the feedback.

Maybe the bearing grease I had on hand is too light, possibly NLGI 1...I'll report back when I get the Lubriplate and put in use.

Dave, I used your write-up as reference when I performed the distributor maintenance. Thanks for posting it.

-Chad

Posted on: 2016/4/11 12:55
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
I am interested in the conversation about "cup grease." My older cars all call for #2 cup grease but I have found no one that can tell me what it is. Obviously it is no longer a necessity as it was in the early days but I sure would like to find a grease that is similar.
Any help?
Thanks,
Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2016/4/11 22:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My older cars all call for #2 cup grease but I have found no one that can tell me what it is.

No mystery really, if you just Google Cup Grease you'll find plenty of information about its composition, as well as some sources for it, although generally in large quantities like 30 gallon drums, etc. Cup greases are typically made from mineral oil and calcium or sodium salts of long chain fatty acids, for example stearic acid, and sometimes with mica or graphite as minor additives. Old fashioned water pump grease was of a similar composition.

Posted on: 2016/4/11 22:19
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved