Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (65 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 113

LSX_Packard, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

automatic trans
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
Hello trans experts
is it possible to use the oil pan from the 54th series gear start tranny on a 26th series tranny? that would save a lot of crawling under the car to check the fluid
Thanks
Charlie

Posted on: 2016/4/21 18:42
 Top  Print   

Re: automatic trans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I have offered them up and in a word NO. The Twin Ultra pan is much shallower. On my 26 Series I connected a filler tube to the upper breather but still have to dip the trans fluid. Best regards, Peter Toet.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 21:43
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
This was a subject that came up 2-3 years ago and at the time no one was in a position to do much testing.

It was speculated that possibly finding a TU, Gearstart or GM tube or a Lokar fill tube would work. There was suggestions of drilling the pan to add the tube or replacing the existing fill tube with something to accept the new tube. A Lokar kit similar to this onehttp://www.lokar.com/product-pgs/trans-dipsticks/trans-dipstick-pages/lock-flex-trans-dipstick.html could possibly be installed.

I also wonder if the lokar dipstick is long enough to do something else. Would it be possible to find an old cap and dipstick. Remove the dipstick and put a hole in the cap to fit the lokar and then use that cap as the anchor. It would preserve the original as well as add convenience. Question would be If the dipstick is long enough to reach the oil level with the existing short length of fill tube still in the case.

If not, possibly one of the compression type rubber plugs that would fit the case could be redrilled to fit the lokar and the bolt removed from the plug assy so the lokar could do the tightening and compression to hold it in the case. That would bring the dipstick down a good 2-3 inches.

Posted on: 2016/4/21 22:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
thank you Peter and Howard,
sounds like some research and tinkering in my future.
Charlie

Posted on: 2016/4/21 22:33
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved