Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
120 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 116

Ernie Vitucci, Packard Don, bkazmer, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

'55 Patrician with Carter Carb, Houston TX
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
So I have this '55 which is new to me. It has a 352 which seems to be original (dont know hot to tell). All the literature says it should have a Rochester carb, but it has a Carter WCFB (can't find the model number but air horn has 6-889 stamp). it seems to run okay, idles speed seems to change with transmission position and the vacuum line runs are 'clunky.'. I'm about to adjust the linkages as per the manual.

My question is: does anyone else have such a combo? Seems odd that someone would replace the Rochester carb with the Carter but over 60 years who knows what went on. I assume there are some performance benefits of the Rochester otherwise they wouldnt have had this on the 'upgrade' from the Clipper series.

Also, I'm still learning this car and it would be nice to see another. Are there any 55 or 56 Patricians in the Houston area? I live Southeast of town and it would be great to be able to compare one in good shape with mine to figure out what is what.

thank you,
Bob

Attach file:

jpg  (133.72 KB)
120663_571ee3ad5e012.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (142.37 KB)
120663_571ee49ba09ac.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/25 22:46
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Re: '55 Patrician with Carter Carb, Houston TX
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The red engine makes me think it is a transplant. Patrician 352 engines were Ivory color. Clipper 320 engines were red and had Carters. Look at the motor number on the front top of block between the oil fill tube and left head. The original engine number will be the same as the one on the door jamb. If the number starts 552x-xxxx or 554x-xxxx it is a Clipper engine. The numbers were stamped and can be faint or covered in grease so you may have to do a bit of cleaning to see it.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.24 KB)
209_571ee7a9179b1.jpg 1052X680 px

Posted on: 2016/4/25 23:01
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
thanks, I will go home tonight and check for those numbers. The casting number on the rear of the engine near the distributor is 440275-A. That same chart you referenced says it is a 352. I'll post the numbers you mentioned tonight. thx

Posted on: 2016/4/26 8:45
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
By casting number that should be a 352 so perhaps someone just did an engine dressup using red paint. The wiper motor is kind of an indication that the PO liked red. No explanation for the Carter other than perhaps it was readily available or inexpensive and the PO needed a carb. I know there were some on the forum who like Carters better than Rochesters so that could come into play too.

It is an interesting car you have. I see the TL solenoids in the background mounted on the firewall and those appear to be the 56 version. Question is did they leave the 55 limit switch on the bracket still working or was the entire compensator changed to the 56 version or worse, is it still the 55 compensator with the bracket and limit switch removed.

The wiper vacuum connection is not quite stock -- but you probably know that. The tube out of carb should go to rear of engine and bend up with a short hose connecting it to one of the balance valve inputs. Part of the tube appears to be there. The tube from internal vacuum pump should exit mid block just above the oil pan, travel to rear and connect to the other input to balance valve. The valve then connects to wiper motor. I would wonder if the internal vacuum pump and balance valve is still present or if the engine has one of the various oil pump mods which eliminates the vacuum portion. If internal pump was removed then a dual action fuel pump could be retrofitted in series to act in its place and provide the emergency wiper vacuum supply.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 9:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks like it is missing the coil's ballast resistor, or it has been relocated, or a coil with an internal resistor has been installed.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2016/4/26 10:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a factory photo of the firewall showing the ballast resistor JW mentions at A. Most important you have one or at least an internal resistor coil. Point life will be very short without it unless you have some kind of electronic ign. The wiper motor has the balance valve just below it on the passenger side of motor. This car also has the coordinator for the optional windshield washer mounted on the wiper motor. B arrow points to that portion. The round circuit breaker and relay mounted to the firewall in front of driver amidst all the hoses and wires is for the power windows and seat. Note the senior engine color is ivory.

Attach file:

jpg  (171.68 KB)
209_571f892f3c737.jpg 1280X866 px

Posted on: 2016/4/26 10:29
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
I wish you guys lived in Houston...

JW: The ballast resistor is there, it is just out of the camera frame in the location shown in the photo HH56 posted. That thing gets hot...

HH56: I can post better pics tonight but the vacuum setup is screwy. The large vaccum hose coming from the back of the carb goes to the Treadle Vac unit and then to the vacuum reservoir inside the driver's side fender area. There is a smaller diam metal tube that T's off where this hose connects to carb, which you can see in the picture, that goes to that rubber hose that unnaturally curves up to the wiper motor. The car does have the glass jar for the washer fluid.

The tube on the lower left of the picture I posted seems like it should be that vac tube from the vac pump in the oil pan. But there is no vacuum coming from it. The fuel pump is not the one I was expecting based on pictures and has another part to it with a tube connecting the inlet and outlet. I am assuming this is the double action fuel/ vacuum pump as you mentioned but the vac section is not doing anything.

A havent got smart enough yet on the TL to know how to answer your question about compensator, limit switch etc.

I'll post more pics, engine info later. thank you for your help so far.

Posted on: 2016/4/26 11:44
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
After cleaning up the front of the block a bit, the serial number is 5587-2436. The chart says that is a 352 from a 400 Hardtop.... There is evidence of red overspray on the hoses so it looks like it was painted red in fairly recent times. Here are a few more pics of the engine compartment . Also, there is a pic of what I think is that double action fuel pump that was also a vac pump, but it this case it's not being used for vacuum. The only vacuum comes from the front and back of the carb.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.89 KB)
120663_57203734ea689.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (46.99 KB)
120663_57203750aca56.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.22 KB)
120663_5720375cd98cc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.56 KB)
120663_5720377237183.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.18 KB)
120663_5720377c44e07.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (41.92 KB)
120663_57203798240df.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/4/26 22:53
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The car doesn't look too bad. Just do a bit more cleanup and it will be quite presentable. The fuel pump does have the vacuum portion on top but it may not be working and the reason for the bypass. Kits are available if you want to pursue making it functional. It would be plumbed as the cars with vacuum wipers were done before 55. Source would be intake manifold with a metal tubing going to the outlet side of pump. Inlet side of pump would go to the wiper motor via metal tubing and a short length of hose the final few inches. That way the intake manifold is the main source of vacuum and just pulls thru the pump. If the engine is under load or throttle wide open and engine vacuum diminishes, the valves in pump then become operational and pump provides enough vacuum to keep the wipers moving. Washer would have to use a tee off the hose just before motor since its normal source on the balance valve is no longer present. I can't quite enlarge the photo enough to see clearly but the wiper motor doesn't look like it has a small 1/8 nipple for a hose connection midway down the front. That hose and another off a small tee on the main hose to provide vacuum would go to the wiper switch for the arc control function. If it doesn't have the nipple it may be an earlier motor..

Brakes should have a cylindrical check valve coming off the intake manifold. That feeds the hose going over toward the power brake unit. A tee drops a short length of hose almost straight down to the fitting on power unit and other leg continues the hose over to the canister. The wipers would come off that same port before the brake check valve and may be where the extra tubing is located. Some cars have a separate vacuum port in the base of carb rather than in the manifold which is used for brakes and wipers. Don't remember what Carters have.

The 56 TL solenoids were mounted under the L fender right next to the brake vacuum canister so if you relocated them it would look more appropriate but that is minor details. Just make sure the limit switch is still being used and they just removed the solenoids from the bracket, connected wires onto the limit switch buss bar terminals and brought the wires out to the solenoids. Here is what the normal 55 arrangement would have been. 56 compensators have two small individual limit switches that thread into the bottom housing of the compensator and no large bracket.

Here are a couple of photos Stewart provided for the 55 TL and a poor photo showing the 56 solenoid location. The solenoids are buried and barely visible within the green boxed area.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.72 KB)
209_5720feaf75179.jpg 937X1049 px

jpg  (267.69 KB)
209_5720ff4a95127.jpg 1920X1440 px

jpg  (162.17 KB)
209_5720ffa915699.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2016/4/27 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob E.
See User information
Great info. thank you. Here are a few more clarification pictures of wiper motor and TL solenoids. The car did come with the washer bottle, but it wasnt hooked up. From one I read I would need a compensator to attach to wiper motor.

TL solenoids seem to be missing a fuse, so I'll rectify that and see what happens.

Vac plumbing is screwy. Line from left side manifold goes around carb to other side for auto choke. Line from front of carb goes around to vac advance on distributor. I understand your description of line from back of carb that goes to brake unit and to vac reservoir. I'd like to try to get it a little less messy so maybe I'll rebuild the fuel/vac pump as you sugggest to clean it up.

thank you!

Attach file:

jpg  (38.90 KB)
120663_572232c916585.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (38.36 KB)
120663_572232d8c3a92.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (40.84 KB)
120663_5722330d39312.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (39.82 KB)
120663_57223326615dc.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (43.38 KB)
120663_5722336cef707.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2016/4/28 11:02
Bob
1955 Packard Patrician
Sapphire Blue
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved