Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 149

HH56, Ross, West Peterson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 147 »

Re: Stewart's 1955 Packard 400
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
700R4s seem to be available for several varied applications. Are there major differences and if so, is there a specific model that is being sourced?

Posted on: 2016/6/5 20:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Quote:
I added the NAPA part number if anyone is interested. All I had to do was elongate the holes a little toward the outside edge.

Good find! But where did you put the Xref? I looked under engine and cooling, but didn't find it. P/N please?

Craig

Posted on: 2016/6/5 20:33
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Craig
I'm sorry, when I said I added the part number I meant that I posted an image of the box and label it came in.

Can I post it in the xref myself. I assumed that was for our more esteemed members.

Howard, do you mean are there different version of the 700r4?

Posted on: 2016/6/5 20:42
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
Howard, do you mean are there different version of the 700r4?

Apparently so based on prices at some of the retail places. Summit, for example has them from around $1300 to over $2k. Another place lists them available for cars or trucks and again the units are differently priced. Another place rates them by horsepower -- from 275 to over 1000 and again differently priced. Can't be sure because of the photo angles but there looked to be some bellhousing differences on one or two of them.. Are those used on a 4 cyl the same as a V6 or V8?

I would think 275hp would be smaller or maybe not as many clutch plates and 1000hp would have some kind of fancy racing mods. Seems there would be some internal differences for the different prices. I was just wondering what the differences are and which one people are choosing for Packards.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 21:12
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I studied the 700r4 for a year or more.

There are 2 different sizes of bell housing. One for the largest GM V6 and all GM V8s and the smaller size fits V6 under 3.6 if I recall correctly. Packards need the larger bell housing.

There are at least 5 different versions of the 700r4 over the years, maybe more. The early models (84 t 87) were not all that dependable. Everyone told me to make sure I get an 87 or new model (they were made from 84 to 93). In fact the rebuild kits for the early model years corrects all the old problems and I could have used one of those.

Prices vary wildly like you have seen. If you look at racing forums they say never to use a 700r4 for anything greater then 400 HP. The casing just can't take it. That's why they made turbo 350 and 450.
I pulled mine from a 90 Caprice at the local pull a part for $50. I actually got two and I am glad I did. I had to remove several parts from the other one.

You don't need a computer for the model but you do need to wire it correctly so that the over drive will kick in. That's what I am working on now. There are kits for this but I think I have enough parts between the two I have to make my own.

Posted on: 2016/6/5 21:32
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin AZ
See User information
Stewart,

I purchased the brass inlet housing from the Packard source that Howard mentioned previously. Have been very happy with it frankly.

Have enjoyed seeing your progress.

Posted on: 2016/6/6 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
I am trying to wrap my head around torque convertor choices for this 700r4 and now my head hurts.

Just watched a Summit Racing video that says

"What we suggest to most customers and sales representatives is they look at the starting arm band of that camshaft and then we will go ahead and select a convertor that is 500 RPM higher in stall range then the starting RPM of the camshaft being used in that engine".

Anyone have a better understanding on this subject or better yet a suggestion on the stall range while I make me a rum drink.

Any help is appreciated.

Posted on: 2016/6/7 13:44
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Stewart Ballard
See User information
Let me ask this a little differently.

At what rpm does my 352 have to be running before the car begins to move from a dead stop?

Does anyone have a tach on their 400 or Patrician?

Posted on: 2016/6/7 17:37
Stewart Ballard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From an old post of Craigs at AACA stall speed on all 55 regular cars was 1650. Slightly higher on the Caribbean but number not given.

56 also had two different converters -- one used on 4 doors and the other with a higher stall used on the HTs. I've seen the numbers in print but can't find them at the moment.

Won't swear to it but seems to me the stall on the 56 sedan was around 1800 which may have been similar to the 55 Caribbean and then around 2K for the higher performance converters used on 56 HTs and Caribbeans.

Will keep looking and see if I can find the actual numbers but for your finding something suitable I would think the range of 1650 to 1800 would be a starting place.

Posted on: 2016/6/7 17:56
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I think you may be overthinking the converter as much of the info you quoted is applicable to performance and race applications. Are you boosting the hp on the packard engine or will it stay stock? Are you racing the car? If street driving the packard engines idle so low that you will bo ok with a very low stall converter and the weight of the vehicle has just as much to do with stall . You will be more comfortable and see better fuel mileage with a lower stall. Truth be told. Any converter in a v8 stock application from a heavy car will do. I advise you to read this info on tv cable geometry and set up/ adj as it is very important for longevity of this trans on a retrofit app.
http://www.cpttransmission.com/tech_tvcable.htm

Posted on: 2016/6/7 18:12
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 44 45 46 (47) 48 49 50 ... 147 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved