Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
195 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 194

r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
Help, I am trying to identify a part on my ultra-matic.It is on the passenger side in front of the pan. it appears to be treaded in. NO wires connect to it the treads appear to be 1/8 pipe and the max od of this device is about 1.5 in in diameter. tranny fluid is coming from it while the engine is running.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 10:32
 Top  Print   

Re: ultramatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I think there were only two items that were electrical on the Ultras and both were on the drivers side more toward the rear. 50-54 regular Ultras had the neutral safety switch and 56 has the pressure switch if it had the PB setup. Perhaps someone has tried to add something that didn't work out. A photo might help identify what it could be.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 11:05
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
cant take a photo at this time.it is NOT electric.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 11:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
What year? Can that be a filler pipe or connection?

Posted on: 2016/8/5 11:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You didn't say what year but am assuming by your post name it is a 51. 55-6 pans had the dipstick port on the R front side of pan and diameter was about that 1 1/2 size but that is all. Definitely not 1/8 pipe thread. 50-54 regular Ultras did not have the dipstick but had a drain plug on the front lower. Anything else in front of trans would be above the pan on the bellhousing and was only plugs and caps for various ports.

Without seeing the item can't help much. If a earlier regular Ultra and it is on the pan wonder if someone tried to install a later pan with dipstick and found it wouldn't work so tried to plug the hole with something. If it is in one of the ports then it would not be stock. Some of those ports have considerable pressure which could be the reason anything not designed to go there is leaking.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 11:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
yeah,it is a 51 mine was near the end of the run. my dip stick is on the driver side. this part is sticking down from a flat on the underside just over half way up the case. it is made of stamped sheet metal.it is not on the pan. it is treaded
too.

Posted on: 2016/8/5 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
are there unused ports on the passenger side? if so this in in one of them. should they just have a plug in them?

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Ultramatic cooler line connection?

(o[]o)

Posted on: 2016/8/5 12:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Can't remember for sure but think the coolant lines are in the rear and on the drivers side for 51-4 Ultras. Here's a couple of photos showing the bellhousing ports which are just above the front of pan closed with regular plugs. The large cap on the top of the second photo which would be on the passenger side in normal orientation is a valve.

If you could narrow down the location it might help but is starting to sound as if someone has installed an aftermarket or makeshift part.

Attach file:

jpg  (89.85 KB)
209_57a4d82d765f3.jpg 1246X644 px

jpg  (73.99 KB)
209_57a4d83ab6f26.jpg 750X1242 px

Posted on: 2016/8/5 13:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Brians51
See User information
yeah, its on the opposite side and faces the ground.and it is on a little flat spot. I think you are right. surprise! Mr Ross Miller called it a shock absorber and said it is a 1951 factory part. Mystery solved! thank you all! Brian

Posted on: 2016/8/5 13:22
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved