Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (142 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Original vs restored
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I was thinking the same thing when the fellow on "Chasing Classic Cars" was talking about preferring an original with patina. What is the cutoff point?

For what my opinion is worth---and if you ask any of my kids, not much---an original car would still have to have an acceptable paint job, no visible rust, an interior that isn't trashed/torn/moth-eaten, and definitely drivable.

My 13-year-old Toyota Tacoma crewcab still takes a tolerbale shine, although, the black plastic wheel-well covers and side-strips are dull and faded, while the interior is clean with only a small tear at the seam of the driver-side front seat. Of course, I've taken care of my vehicle over the years. In short, my truck looks OK for its age.

I said all that to say that is my rule of thumb regarding an original with patina.

as always
Garrett M

Posted on: 2016/9/7 12:28
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

1935Packard
See User information
I'm a fan of CCC, and I have also been amused by the fact that Carini often loses money on cars he puts up for auction. With that said, I would imagine his business is more based (a) getting that first call when someone has a car to sell, (b) work at his shop, for which I'm sure the hourly rate is high, and (c) consignment sales at his own shop, which don't make for good TV but probably outnumber auction sales. Having a TV show with a very high profile in the collector car community is presumably a great way to advance these three interests. Selling some cars at auction to make for a good TV episode is probably a "loss leader" that helps fuel the business. That's my guess, at least.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 2:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
Not getting the price you hoped for and losing money are not the same thing

It seems Roger can get any barn find running with a squirt bottle of gasoline and some well placed ministrations.

Posted on: 2016/9/8 10:29
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

FREDERICK E WILEY
See User information
While we are talking about CCC, his storefront is not that fancy in relation to the price of cars he handles, Ferrari for instance, just a metal building. Now the guy from Canada really has a fancy location and repair facility. It looks like a Rolls or Mercedes dealership. I really like Wheeler Dealers, it can be funny and informative. If I could just understand the mechanic's accent. I am waiting for a show about a Packard .

Posted on: 2016/9/8 17:09
Fred in Florida

1948 Deluxe Eight Sedan 2262
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Hi,
I can't help but chime in here......my Grandson and I are "restoring" a 1953 Packsard.
I use the word restoring because it is not original from the factory.
The car is all there, parts and all, but they are in bad shape. I will rebuild the starter, generator, carburator, engine, everything on it. I will have all the chrome redone and interior redone with the right material.
Having said all this I consider this a restoration but it will have all the original parts that are on it that are rebuildable.
Yes this is going to take some time but I have all the time left in this world and would like to see this done right for my Grandson.
My Dad drove Hudsons and Packards untill the late 50's and he changed brands. I only hope I can make him proud looking down on us :)

Posted on: 2016/9/9 0:43
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Gary, I sent you message in this forum, if you would like to start a Project Blog. I would be glad to help get you started and I know a lot of people on this forum would like to hear from you and then there are a lot of helpful people out there also.
Just let me know.
Wes

Posted on: 2016/9/9 12:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There are all kinds of restorations, but only one kind of mint super low mileage original. Most of those have been destroyed through poor storage, but a few remain like Bob Turnquist's 39 Packard 12. When he owned it, it never went outside except for a picture. There are a couple of 32 Deluxes with under 5000 miles on the odometer. One is in Turnquist's book. I knew someone who had a stolen 40 Packard Custom 8 with under 9000 miles on it. He stole it out of a hotel garage in New York City. The millionaires who owned it didn't care. I remember a mint 32 Dietrich coupe which has since been desecrated. Tom Lester had a mint original 33 12 town car which has since been destroyed. It is in Turnquist's book. I knew several other mint originals that are in that book.

If you want to drive a car then restored is better because the only thing that deteriorates is the restoration. Mint originals only stay that way when they are protected and preserved.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 18:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ewrecks
See User information
There is certainly a growing interest in low mileage original cars of all vintages. The expression that they are only original once has a lot of merit. The " benchmark" cars afford the restorer with a template for the restoration process and also affords a guide for judging.
That being said, the popularity of shows like " What's MyCar Worth" and the hoopla over the Mecum and BJ auctions seems to lead to the perception that old cars should be treated like works of art or fine wines......something to be acquired but not used.
I can understand a museum paying hundreds of thousands of dollars for a unique car, but what do you do with a Boss 429 Mustang with 8000 original miles that cost $450,000. If you drive it.....the value goes down. If you are not a museum, you store it and hope that someone else will pay you more.
The person who just wants a car to use as it was intended....as a means of transport....tends to be pushed out of the market by escalating prices.
I suggest no solution but feel that there is a place for the original, low miles cars and a place for the restored trailer queens but I prefer to own cars that maintain their original integrity but get to see the open road.
We are getting to the point where a goodly portion of the population have never seen or heard of the Packard.....and that is a shame.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 22:41
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Gary Ayres
See User information
Wes,
Thank you again. I will do this but I have other things I am dealing with right now. And I need the pics my Grandson took. Hope he will be here this weekend.
I have two terminally ill brothers in the hospital right now. Although one is improving and should recover, as much as that can be, and I am the oldest I am trying to deal with them, their families and do a little for me and my wife too :)
Beleive me, when I get started on the blog, you might get tired of me :)
I just recieved the application for the PAC Club and need to get it filled out and sent in sometime in the next week or so.
Thank you to everyone. Y'all have been a world of help already.
Gotta go for now.

Posted on: 2016/9/9 22:54
Gary Ayres
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved