Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
220 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 219

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: Problem with charging battery
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I believe I said changing the coil doesn't much matter, however, the direction of the windings is reversed so that the spark moves in the same direction. It has to do with ionization of the charge inside the combustion chamber. Thus a positive ground coil is manufactured opposite of a negative ground coil. So for optimum performance the coil should be changed.

Posted on: 2016/10/8 17:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Those of u having charging system problems:

I don't care if it does have a BRAND NEW regulator. If it is a No-Name brand regulator then remove the regulator then remove the cover and FIRST run a thin pieces of rag thru the points in the reg. LOOK AT THE RAG to see if there is any kind of a residue on the rag. NEXT use an ignition points file to LIGHTLY touch up the contact points.

I've had to do this on TWO different NEW UNbranded regulators that did not work. Both were non-Packard applications. One was a MasseyFerguson regulator bought NEW IN BOX from an MF dealer LOCALY. The other was on a 53 Ford that did not belong to me.

After cleaning and inspecting the points under the reg cover it worked very well.

On ignition coils:
As Kanter states above post there is no such thing as a + or - ground ignition coil.

If the CAR BATTERY is + grnd then + side of coil connects to ignition points.
If car battery is - grnd the - side of coil connects to distributor.

The coil itself does NOT ground to anything. One can hold the coil in their hand with a rubber glove and it will work just fine (assuming the other wires are connected to it of course).

Posted on: 2016/10/8 20:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
That is not true about coils.

Let me quote:

"The polarity of an ignition coil is determined by the direction of rotation of the coil windings."

Posted on: 2016/10/9 8:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

fredkanter
See User information
To Tom Cole:

The polarity of a coil is determined by the direction of the windings, that's how they know which terminal to mark - and which +. Coils as such are not made/sold as positive ground or neg ground coils.

It's the same with car batteries, different batteries are not made/sold for pos and neg ground cars, they're just hooked up differently.

Finding a positive ground coil is a bit more difficult than finding a left handed smoke shifter.

Posted on: 2016/10/9 9:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. So then what kind of negative results will occur if a 56 Packard coil is installed to a 55 Packard???

What???? Shortened coil life or somethin???? And by how much shorter??? 10%??? 15%??? shorter coil life???

A weaker spark????

Just exactly what kind of poor results will occur???

Posted on: 2016/10/9 11:11
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the coil is hooked up "backward" the spark will be slightly less efficient. No other damage or any outward signs will be noticeable. As long as the + and - is properly connected a 55 or 56 coil will work with either battery polarity.

Having said that, If anyone has an old Delco catalog that lists specs it would be interesting to know what the catalog says the differences are between a 1115084 and a 1115095 coil.

As to performance, the easiest path for a spark to jump is from a small hot surface where electrons are concentrated to a colder surface. In a conventional plug a single center electrode is the hottest and smallest surface and the place where excited electrons will be most plentiful. The center electrode may also be made of or coated with a material having even greater ability to produce electrons. It is much easier for the electrons to make the jump from center to the cooler side electrodes.

With a properly oriented coil that is what will happen but if the polarity is reversed, the spark will need to jump from the grounded relatively large surface of the side electrode which is colder and has fewer excited electrons. The spark will be weaker and in a car with a marginal ignition system or plugs the extra work may be too much. Plugs could misfire or have a very weak spark.

Posted on: 2016/10/9 11:34
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Fred.

Your right. Not the ignition switch. Generator does motorize. So working on my adapter for alternator. Till i figure out generator/regulator. Problem .
check field winding.

It looks like the resistors on back of reg. Got hot. They should have a fuse so you know what is going on.

V8. Filed the points.

Posted on: 2016/10/10 4:21
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
During the 40's thru late 60's there are many Voltage regulators labeled "+ grnd" or labeled "- grnd". Also a few generators and maybe other parts. But voltt regulators labeled for specific + or - ground is rather common.
I have NEVER seen an ignition coil labeled + or - ground.

On a different note:
So IF a + grnd ignition coil has core windings wound (let us assume) opposite clocwise while a - grnd coil is wound clockwise then the only differeence between the coils would be the "+" and "-" LABELS on the coil posts. No???

So then using an UNKOWN coil then it would only require to determine direction of windings in the coil (using somekind of test equipment) and then connect the coil to be compatable with the polarity of the car.

No???

Posted on: 2016/10/10 6:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
I am sold on alternator..

That is a 65 amp. So working amps will be around 30 amps. Autozone lifetime replacement.

So i am on the road again..willy..what a pain.

Attach file:

jpg  (181.79 KB)
4498_57fd376137b53.jpg 1920X1135 px

jpg  (326.29 KB)
4498_57fd377631a1a.jpg 1920X1806 px

jpg  (367.28 KB)
4498_57fd378819235.jpg 1920X1351 px

jpg  (296.17 KB)
4498_57fd3f7c66378.jpg 1920X1675 px

Posted on: 2016/10/11 14:10
Riki
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Well, I fashioned myself a wire with alligator clips soldered to each end and easily polarized the generator from the regulator. My friend and I checked the voltage after that and it was 12.6 volts. The Clipper started easily and tested at 12.4 volts running out of idling speed. I took it out and drove it for a while, then stopped for a beer. When I got back in, it fired right up and ran smooth as silk back to the garage. We checked it again while it ran and the voltmeter read 12.45, fluctuating as it should.

I might go ahead and put the charger on it before I go on tour with it next week, but I feel like everything should be OK at this time. Again, thank you al for your sage advice.

Craig

Posted on: 2016/10/11 14:40
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved