Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
253 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 251

moodydavid16, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: Over-Drive vs Gear Change for a '34 Coupe
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thanks Fred.
Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom Beidleman
See User information
Thank you O.D.,
You've been a tremendous help in the past and once again I sincerely appreciate your time (and the others here) in giving me advice and pointing me in the right direction.
Your actual hands on experience is invaluable, and thank you for sharing all of it, especially with a newbie like me,
Thanks again.
Regards,
Tom

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tom, just one last thought, a 4.69 ratio isn't as high (numerically) as it might seem; it with a 17 inch tire is about equivalent to a 4.1 with 15 inch tires.

And PackardV8, the ratios in those years ranged from 4.06 to 5.08.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 21:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thank u Owen for the axle ratio specs.
I'll take a guess that the overdrive ratio is 0.75:1.

With the longest ratio of 4.07 then the overdrive would make it 3.05 in over drive. NOT that far from a 2.98.

With the short ratio 5.08 axle ratio then the OD would make it a 3.81 ratio in overdrive.

I don't know what options Packard offered in 34 but i would be most surprised if the overdrive was NOT offered with a 4.07 axle. Especialy for the wide open spaces AND FLAT LANDS of the western states. NOT for high speed operation but for GAS MILEAGE. Out west in the wide open spaces there could be very long distances between gas stations.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:04
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard V8,

Packard did not offer overdrive in those years. And when you talk about speed in the wide open flatlands, recognize that the majority of our roads were still unpaved in 1934.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok then. Overdrive not offered in 34. So then maybe very difficult to adaapt an OD unit to a 34. I don't know. So then TomB might very well be better off trying an axle ratio change.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Something else to consider might be to adapt a more modern trans, 4sp OD or 5 speed trans to the engine. It depends on how much modification would have to made to existing platform. Definately keep the changes minimal especialy without butchering any of the OEM platform.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:27
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

TomB wrote:: Re The Shocks....I need a complete lesson on those too. To be honest, I don't even know where to find them..Thanks...Tom

===========================================================

Hi again Tom!

As I noted, your '34 Packard came out of the factory with outstanding "double action" shocks - lever type, bolted to the frame.

The bad news is if they are NOT working properly, there would be some validity to V8's comments about pre-war Packard ""handling!

It would not surprise me if their hydraulic fluid leaked out (renedering them useless..) especially in a car that has been standing unused for some time. The reason - the seals may be gone. If you check in Hemmings, you will find that there are people who service these if that is the case.

But try em out first. You can try filling them up see if and/or how bad they leak.

I recommend you disconnect the rods that connect the lever of the shock to the axle. Then "work" the levers up and down for their full travel while filling - helps get all the air out.

Owen also owns a Packard like yours - perhaps he can crawl under his with a good camera and post for you photos of what your front and rear shocks look like.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Gear Vendors overdrive have been adapted to quite a few such Packard s. Not inexpensive, but easily enough done.

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:30
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

shinyhubcap
See User information
Quote:

PackardV8 wrote:
Something else to consider might be to adapt a more modern trans, 4sp OD or 5 speed trans to the engine. platform. Definately keep the changes minimal especialy without butchering any of the OEM platform.

=======================================================

Would I be correct if I assume "Packard V8" has never seen a pre-war "Senior" transmission?

( hint - what we call a "bell housing" is, on pre war Senior Packards, cast as part of the transmission case - ONE PIECE ! ) With the transmission of a pre-war "Senior" Packard out of the car, there is NO bell housing at ALL - no way to use an adapter to attach a modern transmission.

And why do that ? For those of us who have driven pre-war Packard "Seniors" with properly maintained transmissions....honestly...have you ever operated a "sweeter" more "slick", more smoothly shifted one..?

Owen obviously has some experience with pre-war Senior Packards - so LISTEN to him, Tom.....( perhaps Owen has not QUITE as much as me...I suspect I was owning, driving, and working on them years before Owen graced this planet with his presence......! )

Bottom line...Tom...LISTEN TO OWEN !

Posted on: 2016/11/7 22:37
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved