Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (128 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Self propelled Hubcap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
I started this a couple of weeks ago but here I go some more.

Four new Coker Radial tires on my 1954 Cavalier.

I have one wheel cover that wants to rotate in the same direction as the wheel normally turns.

It was on the right front and it was the only one that turned until it went far enough to bend the valve stem to the breaking point. Fortunately the flat occurred in the garage.

I figure if one goes on the road it will ruin a tire.

So I swapped the hubcap with the one on the left front and the problem followed the hub cap. It is marked LF inside with marker and I suspect a former owner has had the problem before as there were a couple of gobs of what looked like trim cement in the hubcap.

I have also stretched the teeth so it is very tight to get on and I have to use hard blows with a rubber hammer to seat it.

I suspect the steel radial tires spread the rim more than the old bias ply tires and it walks the hub cap slowly in the direction of rotation.

I have the tire air pressure at 32, the tire shop had it at 40 and Packard says 27.

The radials look like the bias ply,s but the tread is narrower than the over sized tires that were on this car. The over sized had a very wide tread.

I would like to find a super nice like new hubcap to try which I will buy, who is the best source of this?

Jim

Posted on: 2017/4/2 11:39
 Top  Print   

Re: Self propelled Hubcap
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Jim...I have seen this problem on other cars and one way to stop it, particularly if it is wheel flex, is to get a small bit of bar stock at ACE or some place and then clean off a spot on the wheel and use JB Weld to hold a couple of 2 inch or so pieces on the wheel several clips apart. Once the JB Weld sets up...about 24 hours...those bits of bar stock will keep the hub caps from rotating without doing any real damage to your Packard wheels...You really do have a lovely machine. (Good Luck...Ernie)

Posted on: 2017/4/3 13:15
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Regardless of what is causing the wheel cover to rotate, there is absolutely no need whatsoever to resort to any exotic remedies at all. The answer is very quick, easy and permanent.

As I mentioned before... simply drive the car over to a good tire store... and then have them install premium metal valve stems on the wheels in question. Guaranteed end of the problem. And no need to fear a blow-out from rapid decompression via valve stem loss.

Had this done on my 1966 Eldorado back in the 1970s. Never had the problem again. Ever.

Posted on: 2017/4/3 21:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jim McDermaid
See User information
The word of the day is Eureka!

Hub cap quit moving.

I used a metal duct like tape I have had around for a few years. Nice and sticky.

This is a two inch tape which I cut into 1 inch strips and after cleaning the rim real good (painted rim) I applied the tape where the wheel cover grips the edge.

The tape I used is Nashaua 181A-P/181B-FX.

Coker also suggested metal valve stems

Jim going crusing

Posted on: 2017/4/5 14:11
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved