Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 216

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 22 »

Re: 1941 Packard Clipper Eight Special Sedan
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hopefully your bushings are in good shape with no wear or bad rubber. Early on they had problems when the rubber deteriorated and started causing problems with shifting. The bushings were changed to solid metal and kits were issued for retrofitting on older cars. Unfortunately complete sets of 8 bushings of either type are not available -- just the odd one or two here and there.

I guess the cost in casting the loop got the better of them -- or else it proved breakable. On postwars they used a short clevis pin thru a hole in the bellhousing on the right side of the input shaft hole. If the spring was off the pin was kept from falling out by the transmission being bolted over it.

Posted on: 2017/4/7 16:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
I have to admit the gears did shift and select pretty good before I stripped the car for the renovation. Hopefullyit will be as good when she goes back together.

Posted on: 2017/4/7 16:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Yes that clip on the steering column is to hold a flashlight.
The flashlight has matching groves in it for the plastic (?) rollers. Sorry I don't have a picture but there are many posted in different places.

Posted on: 2017/4/8 9:41
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you did not take your gearshift mechanism apart while the steering column was out, it would be a good idea to get plenty of oil under the top 2-3 shift lever while it is easily accessible and relatively movable. It has probably never seen a routine oiling.

The small hole on the side of the shift tube gets a few drops which will run down inside the tube and reach those internal parts and also run out the slot for the shift tongue and the bottom R-1 lever. There is no place for oil to directly reach the top lever unless some is applied on the outside of the tube under the snap ring and shim and the lever worked so it can run down inside the space between the tube and lever.

As you can see from the photos a lot of rust and corrosion can build up and start causing the lever to stick. Mine, after sitting some time, had really gotten bad to the point the 2-3 lever was stuck and moving even when shifting R-1. It took some work to get the lever off the corroded shaft and pieces cleaned and polished well enough that the mechanism worked freely.

Attach file:

jpg  (127.48 KB)
209_58e8fed5a1ead.jpg 1280X1400 px

Posted on: 2017/4/8 10:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looks to me like a holder for a flash light.

An old pilots tale goes like this: You know what a flash light is? Its a metal tube for storing dead batteries.

Neat that the holder survived all these years.

JWL

Posted on: 2017/4/8 13:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Thanks for all of that, the steering parts were good little rust. I have put the gear shift linkages back and all gears seem to select, there is a small arm from the steering box and it points towards the block, does some one have a pic where this small arm/rod. It has a hole in the end for a split pin. connects to please. Thanks Howard

Posted on: 2017/4/13 13:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
See the illustration for Group item 3.3045 in the 1941-47 Clipper parts list for the rod that is connected to the steering box

Posted on: 2017/4/13 15:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe 47 is identical. On the 47 there are only a couple of things off the steering box I would call arms. Hopefully the photos show what you are asking about. One is the anchor point for the rod going to the top support of the gearshift idler setup and the other is the bracket the throwout arm spring is hooked onto.

Attach file:

jpg  (181.64 KB)
209_58efe3848def6.jpg 1280X1408 px

jpg  (143.75 KB)
209_58efe39402e1f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (150.02 KB)
209_58efe39c7f6e6.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2017/4/13 15:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Hey thanks for that, it was the idler support the one area i had not taken a good pic of. well its all sorted now. I shall take some more pics today and post later. I managed to go through the Starter motor and service that and clean and repaint. I also blast cleaned the clutch push rod and painted that. Also oil filler cap, and the fan and pulley wheel. Thanks again for help. Howard

Posted on: 2017/4/14 1:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Howard Wade
See User information
Well Ive got the engine in the car. I have also made the new HT leads I have used cotton braded cable. I have also fitted various parts. I have also got all the linkages fitted.

Attach file:

jpg  (259.14 KB)
139012_58f0f30edd1c4.jpg 1920X1080 px

jpg  (219.22 KB)
139012_58f0f34cb9a33.jpg 1920X1080 px

Posted on: 2017/4/14 11:05
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 11 12 13 (14) 15 16 17 ... 22 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved