Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
222 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 222

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1930 Super 8 compression
Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Hi all, I have two cylinder heads for my 1930 740. The one that is on the car has the letters "HC" stamped in the top of the head on the driver's side near the firewall. The other has no such markings. I assume HC stands for high compression. According to the Kimes book, Packard often offered engines with a choice of different heads / compression ratios. I don't believe it is stated in the book whether such choices were offered for the Super 8s, 740 and 745, although it mentions such a choice for the 734 speedster. Does anyone know whether different heads were offered for 740/745?

Posted on: 2017/5/1 13:45
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1930 Super 8 compression
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
5.03, 6.00 and 6.52 heads were offered for the 726/733/740/745. This info from the 7th Series Part List which is available on this site for your viewing. There is also a 4.80 head listed for the 726/733 and 4.73 for the 740/745; these low compression heads were generally for export vehicles where gasoline quality was considerably less than in the U.S.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 15:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Sherlock
See User information
Thanks Owen. Examined both heads closely but can't find a piece number stamped on either, so can't tell if the engine is 6.00 or 6.52. The speedster, which had modified block and carburetion, had a choice of two heads, 4.85 and 6.00, the latter requiring anti-knock fuel but boosting horsepower by 20 to 145. Some specs say the standard 385 developed 105 hp and others say 109. I wonder if a high compression head is what made the difference.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 19:44
Rob

1930 Custom 8 Club Sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You could "cc" the combustion chamber and then just calculate what your current compression ratio is.

Horsepower increase came from a package of changes including carburetor, breathing (angled ports), etc. I forget, was valve size also increased? It's all well documented but I'd have to look it up.

Posted on: 2017/5/1 19:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved