Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
171 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 169

azpack400, 39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine swap
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
Hello Packard experts.

will a 1954 359ci engine easily replace a 1953 inline 8 327 9 bearing engine. are the engine mounts the same, and the trans bell housing the same, also the intake and exhaust manifolds compatible. my engine has crack in the block and looking to replace it.
thanks for all your ideas and info

Charlie

Posted on: 2017/6/13 17:52
 Top  Print   

Re: engine swap
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The 359 is a bored and stroked 327 so everything on the outside is identical.

The 359 had an aluminum head which did not hold up well in some cases. If the engine you are contemplating still has one treat it with respect. Some aluminums have been replaced with cast iron heads but you do need to be selective on which cast iron head is used to keep the compression ratio on the 359 within reason.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 18:16
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
thank you Howard

the head I have had .007 shaved off to clean high and low spots, before I found the cracked block. would that be to much to use on the new engine??

Charlie

Posted on: 2017/6/13 22:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It may be. The heads from the later engines with Ultramatics were higher compression and with the milling it may be even worse. With the extra squeeze of the larger piston displacement that could throw it over the edge with pinging or knocking you cannot totally eliminate. I'd also be a bit concerned with valve clearance so be sure to check that before bolting it down.

Ross posted the heads he recommends some time back. Perhaps he will repost them or someone will remember that thread or discussion and link it here.

Is the 53 block cracked on the outside or in some way totally unsalvageable? When I did a 54 back in the 80s one of the cylinders was cracked so I had it sleeved. I sold the car but it lives not far away and the car and engine is still going strong today.

Posted on: 2017/6/13 22:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
I am not sure. the machine shop did not give details as to where it was cracked, need to follow up with them and maybe like yours it can be fixed
Charlie

Posted on: 2017/6/14 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I'm always surprised that 359 engines seem to be somewhat common to find. Being a 1 year engine, and 1954 being a low production year and all.....
John

Posted on: 2017/6/14 15:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

charlieshot
See User information
I think a lot of 359 with alum. heads were swaped for 53's with cast iron heads

Charlie

Posted on: 2017/6/14 17:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved