Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (114 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 150

Ernie Vitucci, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

bad oil leak
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
When having my 37 115 flatbedded to my new home up a very steep driveway it leaked a huge amount of oil out of the weep hole in the bellhousing. Never leaked from the rear main when driven in and out of old garage or for a few miles locally. Can the rear main seal suddenly go bad (this is a "rebuilt" motor with only about 10 miles on it). Or is there another way engine oil can get into the bellhousing?
I'm worried that the clutch will get oil saturated too! Brad

Posted on: 2017/10/19 10:05
 Top  Print   

Re: bad oil leak
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you sure your engine has a real seal?

Just by memory I thought they used a slinger (a quite common practice of the era) and if so, slingers only function when the crankshaft is rotating so with the engine off and the engine at a severe nose-up position, I would expect oil to pass and come out the clutch cover weep hole. I have experienced the same thing when having my '34 which also just has a slinger loaded onto a flatbed. Assuming your weep hole is open and the oil drains, I wouldn't be the least bit concerned about getting oil on the clutch.

If I'm wrong and your engine does use a real seal, I know someone will come along and correct me.

Posted on: 2017/10/19 10:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks, Mr Ambassador; now I feel real dumb! I am more familiar with newer engines, so I never thought about the possible lack of a seal! A real load off my mind, although it looks like I may not be able to drive the car up my driveway without loosing oil.....

Posted on: 2017/10/19 18:52
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
It could come the rear of the pan. G

Posted on: 2017/10/19 19:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
No oil seal

Posted on: 2017/10/20 10:47
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

jt34
See User information
On my 34 8 cylinder oil also leaks from the rear main is there any way to fix it with pulling the engine. the enginge only has 7600 since it was rebuild as fas as I know.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 19:09
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As noted earlier, your engine (and many engine designs of that era) uses a slinger rather than a rear oil seal. Unless someone has butchered the slinger or plugged the weep hole, it's almost impossible in normal use to have any significant oil loss past the rear bearing unless the crankcase is grossly overfilled. Take a closer look, far more likely it is oil leaking from somewhere forward and running rearward.

Posted on: 2017/10/23 20:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved