Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
243 user(s) are online (121 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 243

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1950 Packard emergency brake cable breakage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
My emergency brake cable (actually, I believe the more correct term would be a 4-strand wire rope) broke just about 2 inches above where it comes out of the shielded cable housing (I believe that it is called BX cable) under the dash. I have thought about trying to splice this wire rope rather than replace the entire assembly. There are cable splices and also steel epoxies that should solidify the whole connection. Would this work, or is there any other way to repair the wire rope? Thanks.

Posted on: 2018/6/26 19:40
 Top  Print   

Re: 1950 Packard emergency brake cable breakage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
IMO your first approach should be to locate and install a full replacement assembly. Brake systems aren't a good place to experiment with lesser methods.

Posted on: 2018/6/26 19:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I believe I have one (used) in Sacramento. I will check the parts book-I think all are the same. If interested let me know as price is linked to time spent-starts at $25. Dell

Posted on: 2018/6/26 20:25

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Dell, Yes, I am interested in that. Please let me know a final price. I can pick up.

Posted on: 2018/6/26 21:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Loshar: I thought I had a used one but have not found the used one, I did find a new old stock cable and have 2 pictures in my I phone. If you can receive texts please give me your number or email address. The price I gave you was for a used one, the NOS cable is $75 plus shipping or you can pick it up. I will look some more for a used one. I have three or four rear cables. part number for the cable I have is 371113 fits 41 t0 50. Dell

Posted on: 2018/6/27 19:53

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Dell, Thanks a lot. The price seems reasonable. For that price, I wouldn't want a used one. The front cable is all I will need, think the 2 rear ones are still good. Does the new front one you have include both the cable housing and the wire rope cable inside? My only problem is that I don't have anyone to put it in. I'm an older guy, woulda done it myself 10 years ago, but don't have a lift and can't drawl under. My regular guy (sorta) is laid out and can't do it. I checked with one other, and his price was outrageous. Don't know what its like in Sacramento, but in East Bay (2 million people), I'm running out of dependable classic car mechanics. I'll have to get back to you when I find someone. Thanks, Loshar

Posted on: 2018/6/28 18:21
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Logan
See User information
Dell, Sorry, out of town for a while, but yes, if you could text me the 2 photos in your phone, I will verify that is what I need. Number is 510-220-7240. Email is Loshar@yahoo.com Thanks, Loshar

Posted on: 2018/7/11 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi; In Mexico till the 15th, will get them to you when I get home

Posted on: 2018/7/11 18:24

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved