Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
196 user(s) are online (129 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 192

kevinpackard, Tom (Packin31), BigKev, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Problem Solved
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chuck McDonald
See User information
My car at idle was not hitting on 1278 and I had a freshly professionally rebuilt carburetor so I just overlooked that as being the issue. I rebuilt the distributor, changed the coil, rebuilt the fuel pump and changed the plugs, cap, rotal, wires and the problem persisted. So finally I installed my "Original" backup carburetor and all problems solved! So my attitude is the "Glass is half full" why? I now really understand every component relating to the engine fuel intake and electrical systems. In a way, I am fortunate that the rebuilt carburetor was faulty. I still need to "Dial her in" but will do that when I receive the rebuilt carburetor back from the rebuilder.

Check out my video

https://youtu.be/sWpY0U2edHU

Posted on: 2018/7/25 6:50
Chuck McDonald
 Top  Print   

Re: Problem Solved
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
Good for you, Chuck. We went through the same thing a couple months ago. Daytona Parts rebuilt the carb and the car wouldn't run, but because they have a the reputation as the best in the biz, we did the same thing you did, went on an Easter egg hunt for 2 weeks looking elsewhere. Finally put the old beat up Carter back on and it ran. After returning it for warranty service, it was perfect.

Posted on: 2018/7/25 22:06
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chuck McDonald
See User information
Exactly the same situation, the rebuilder is one of the "Best" and like you, I was at a complete loss as to what was causing the problem. In the end, it was a very good learning experience. My only question now is intake manifold vacuum I am at 29 at idle and can't find the normal range for the 282 engine, having the vacuum pump and split manifold may make a difference from a non-vacuum pump and split manifold, there is a small by-pass hole in inside the center of the intake which balances both branches. Would you know?

Posted on: 2018/7/26 2:07
Chuck McDonald
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
When not rebuilding a carburetor myself [which is 95% of the time), I take it locally to Ace Fuel in Santa Clara, CA as they have the equipment to even run it to test for vacuum leaks and other problems. They are not restorers but a carburetor will always come back looking nice and working perfectly.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 11:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chuck McDonald
See User information
There are two listed, is this the one 975 Richard Ave, Santa Clara, CA 95050
Phone number (408) 727-2838

Posted on: 2018/7/26 12:23
Chuck McDonald
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Yes, on Richard Ave and I generally deal with Allen or Cory but anyone there can help. I had forgotten that they changed their name from Ace Fuel to Ace Automotive and Fuel Systems. I don't know about any second company by the same name as they have only the one location.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 12:32
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Chuck McDonald
See User information
Thanks so very much my good friend also has a 37 120C also that definitely needs Carburetor attention so we will send it to Corey

Posted on: 2018/7/26 12:39
Chuck McDonald
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Be sure to ask them to run it on the test machine as they don't do so by default and let my know how it goes! I've always dealt with them locally but I know that they ship too.

Posted on: 2018/7/26 13:31
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved