Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 187

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1941 Grill Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Pat and Melanie Westerkamp
See User information
Any one had there grill repaired ??? if so by who????. The center bar on mine has been dinged. Id like to get the grill looking new. The grill is the center piece on these cars i believe.
Pat

Posted on: 2018/8/29 22:56

1941 Packard 110 Club Coupe Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: 1941 Grill Repair
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Pat, there was an NOS set of chrome louvers on Ebay shortly ago that I believe were listed by Max Merritt. I would have bid on them but it was listed as for'40/41'and I thought maybe there was some minuscule difference between them and my '39 that I would end up with something I couldn't use or would have to machine, etc. Regardless, they sure looked nice and the chrome was flawless.
I have no idea what is involved at the R&R part of the equation, but the many experts on here would sure be able to steer you. Chris

Posted on: 2018/8/29 23:23
'If you think you can, or you think you can't - you're right!' Henry Ford.
1939 Packard Six, Model 1700
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Thanks Chris, my louvers are really in pretty good shape but the center bar on the shell needs some help

Posted on: 2018/8/30 0:30

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
All 39 Six through v-12 have movable shutters, the 40-41's that Max Merritt has REPRODUCED are fixed shutters, completely different.

Posted on: 2018/8/30 11:26
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
The 1940-42 grills are the same size other than the senior models have louvered thermostat-controlled bars while the junior 110 and 120 models do not. The frames are also different between louvered and non-louvered so it's important to look for the proper one! I had a rechromed one from a 110 for decades but finally sold it a few years ago. The 1939 grill is totally different, being much wider, and has the center piece as part of the body grill housing while in 1940-1942, it was part of the grill.

Posted on: 2018/8/30 12:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Thanks again Don; you are really good with year and model-specific info!!! That being said, since I have re-removed my front end clip to take out my motor, how big a deal is it to take out the grill and have it rechromed?? Mine is in great shape (as far as dings and bends, and works perfectly re opening and closing) but someone has painted the louvered 'bars' with silver-grey paint. You can tell they are chrome underneath, but my guess is if one removed the paint, the chrome would be in less-than shape sans the 'faux chrome'.

Posted on: 2018/8/30 19:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
Always happy to try to help but I'm really not all that knowledgeable anymore after all these years. In this case a 1939 grill is a completely different thing than the original poster's 1941 grill question and at the risk of hijacking his post, my memory of the 1939 grill is limited to only one single instance and I never took it apart but I seem to recall vaguely that it involved rivets that would have to be drilled out. However, my main knowledge of prewar is primarily 1940 and 1941 as I had three of the former (all 110 sedans) and one of the latter (a 120A Henney-Packard) so I'm afraid I don't recall too much of my 1939 Six after more than five decades since I sold it!

Posted on: 2018/8/30 20:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Newbie
See User information
Okay Don, thanks.... and sorry Pat - no criminal intent re my butting in here!! Hope you find what you're looking for. Chris

Posted on: 2018/8/31 0:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
None taken!!!!! its all good info!!

Posted on: 2018/9/1 17:53

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved