Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
168 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 168

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hydraulic front window 1950 convertible
Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
I was out on tour and had the drivers side front window drop. (Of course in a heavy rain) so after getting it up and secured via my MacGyver skills. I continued the tour. When I arrived home it took off the door panel and released the window from the rail. After getting the rail back on the rollers and reinstalled the window. I realized It wasn't aligned. But it still won't work. HELP!!! I find info on crank up windows but not hydraulic .

You guys have been great in the past I'm hoping you come through again.
Thanks in advance

J

Posted on: 2018/9/12 17:12
1948 Custom Eight
1950 Super Eight Convertible
 Top  Print   

Re: Hydraulic front window 1950 convertible
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are several pages and some photos of the hydraulic windows in section 1 of the 46-50 service manual. You can download from the literature section if you don't have a printed copy.https://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/servicemanual4650/Section1.pdf A bit of alignment info starts on page 7 as well as service info.

When you say it doesn't work are you referring to the cylinder moves the window but it tries to jam as if there is an alignment issue or does the cylinder not move at all. Does the pump work so the top and other windows are OK and just the one cylinder or the one window not move?

Posted on: 2018/9/12 18:00
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Hello Howard,

So to answer your question. I did put the passenger side down but that was it. I'll be back at it tomorrow and will give you a full update .

J

Posted on: 2018/9/12 20:03
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Ok all the rest of the windows work. What I finally figured out was there has to be a part that hooks to the piston arm to the window that has become separated. I found a c clip but that looks like one that is on the bottom of the piston. But it just doesn't look like it could fit anywhere on the arm.

Posted on: 2018/9/13 17:32
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the cylinder works but nothing happens to move the window then I would wonder if the cylinder has become disconnected from the regulator. The cylinder fits into two rounded notches on parts of the scissors action regulator. Each end is held by a spring steel clip. The clips are double sided and slide over the flat portion of the regulator where the notches are positioned. Tension of the clips hold the ball like ends of the cylinder in the notch in the flat metal. Clip opening is shaped sort of like an hourglass so the ball ends can move in the notches. it is possible a clip broke and has allowed either end of the cylinder to fall out of the regulator.

Here are a couple of photos showing the notch and ends of cylinder. I don't have a clip to show what it looks like but it is about an inch wide and maybe slightly longer. It slides over the flat portions of the regulator and grasps the rounded ends of the cylinder.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.91 KB)
209_5b9af4807bfc8.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (91.94 KB)
209_5b9af48aba816.jpg 958X957 px

Posted on: 2018/9/13 18:40
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jsa03781
See User information
Whow that is exactly what I've been looking for. I now have everything in the right spots I just have to attach the clip. Thanks

Posted on: 2018/9/14 7:58
1948 Custom Eight
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved