Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 201

Ross, DJP-37-120, CCR, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Charging voltage
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Hi I just checked the charging voltage on my 51 deluxe 200 and it seems high. When I check with multi-meter and the car running it's showing 8 volts. If this is to high what should it be? Thanks

Posted on: 2019/6/10 22:27
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print   

Re: Charging voltage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Adjustment procedure is on page 5 in the electrical section of 51-4 service manual and should be set at 7.2-7.4 volts. Possibly someone had installed an 8v battery at some time and the regulator was adjusted high -- although 8v is a bit low for that battery.

Posted on: 2019/6/10 23:51
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Brian
See User information
Thanks Howard will charging at 8 volts hurt anything?

Posted on: 2019/6/11 0:07
Thanks Brian
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to shorter life for bulbs etc, it is not ideal for the battery since it is being overcharged which usually results in excess heat and fast depletion of the electrolyte. A hot case is probably the most noticeable symptom on a modern "maintenance free" battery but if a battery is hot to the touch, internal damage is being done and I would reduce the voltage to the appropriate range.

In the old days on batteries with removable caps a symptom of overcharging was the need to add water frequently. With a modern battery the symptom is not as easily seen but still an issue. In addition to the excess heat possibly melting a plastic something inside the modern case, the gasses produced by the hot electrolyte are more confined and could become concentrated and dangerous.

Posted on: 2019/6/11 8:32
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved