Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 209

David Timberlake, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 37 »

Re: Randy Berger's 1956 Caribbean
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith, Waiting to get a garage clear so I can put my 400 in it and have mine available to hold the fenders,etc. while we pull the engine and tranny.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 12:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Keith -

I can understand Randy waiting until he gets some space freed up, but the weather here in Western Pennsyltucky has been pretty miserable lately, as well. We've been getting more than our fair share of rain in recent years, but there seems to be a lot more hot and humid days (and nights) than ever.

May-June and September-October are my favorite months for working outdoors, but I'm gonna need a climate-controlled workspace before I can make much progress on my own cars.

Posted on: 2007/8/26 21:39
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Brian, you really called it on the weather. I can work up a sweat just walking around. Went to NAPA today for a power steering hose and conv top hoses. NAPA could do neither as they didn't have any fittings that small. I have another place to try tomorrow if I can get away early enough. A friend is stopping by around 1:30 to view my project and to form an opinion on the conv. top bushings. He will probably make them for me. He just wants to see their environment. I ordered new cylinders today from Hydro-electric. The credit card is turning a ghastly shade of blue-green.
Went to the cruise at Nigro's tonight and talked with one of the Stude brothers. Always interesting conversation.
Old grade school friend George was there also and I met a friend of cousin Will's. All in all, a nice evening.

Posted on: 2007/9/4 22:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I purchased a Standard SLS159 brake light switch today per HH56's instructions. I got it locally for $9.90 plus governor's cut. It looks a little different than the illustration at Summit but still performs the same functions.
It looks easily mounted on the steering column positioned to engage the brake pedal arm. I am buying another tomorrow to replace the one I have and eliminate the relay that I incorporated for the T/L cut-out.
Many thanks to HH56 for this idea - simple and effective.

Posted on: 2007/9/21 22:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Got the front clip off and took off the intake manifold and carbs. When mechanic started to rebuild the front carb I noticed the rings on the primary venturi and told him to hold up till I found out what I remembered about those rings. TSB 56-23 addresses a campaign to fix a problem with 56 Caribbean carbs. The problem is that these rings on the primary venturi can work loose and be sucked into the engine. I didn't have page 2 of that TSB and Owen Dyneto was kind enough to email me that page which details the fix. I am in a bit of a quandary as the fix has been applied to this carb, but the rings are still loose. I'm going to call Daytona Carb on Monday and see if they have a new venturi with rings.
In any case, here is a pic of page 2 of the TSB and also the Caribbean sans front clip - reminds me of a naked lady although I can't explain that analogy.

Attach file:

jpg  (42.76 KB)
23_46fef200b3d47.jpg 534X800 px

jpg  (54.62 KB)
23_46fef23c9ea7a.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/9/29 19:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I have been asked to explain the purpose of the styrofoam cups on each tire. If either cup falls off while I am under the car it will alert me to the fact the car is moving and I can get the hell out of there. I used to put wrenches there but they hurt if they bounce the wrong way.
I could have said I looked on the package and they are D cups.
Went to a nice cruise at Idlewild Park today. They have all the old cars parade through the park itself. There are some close quarters and tight turns maneuvering thru what are intended to be pedestrian walkways. Friend Chris and son showed up at Norwin cruise in his 56 Patrician. All in all a good day.

Posted on: 2007/9/30 1:48
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Rebuilt carbs after call to Daytona Carburetor yesterday. They recommended restaking and pinning the rings on the primary ventury. You can see where the old staking was at 12,3,6,and 9. Note the pin attached by drilling a small hole and inserting half of a very small cotter pin to ensure we never lunch the rings. Apparently only 56 Caribbeans have these rings.

Lifted the engine out today and tranny. Will pull core plugs and scrape water jacket tomorrow. Now to call friend Ron to see when he can rebuild tranny.

Installed hydraulic cylinders and connected hoses today. Will run them up and down tomorrow. Have to remember to take turkey baster to garage to refill hydraulic pump.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.00 KB)
23_470302e98e44f.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (54.15 KB)
23_470303e26bbd6.jpg 800X600 px

jpg  (66.48 KB)
23_470304ec574a5.jpg 800X600 px

Posted on: 2007/10/2 21:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kip56
See User information
Randy,

Congratulations on your progress to date! That is one hell of a lot of work to get where you are now.

I also enjoyed your explanation of the "cups" on your wheels from your previous post. Great safety tip and very humorous analogy :)

If by any chance you are attending Hershey, let me know.

Robert.

Posted on: 2007/10/3 9:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tom (Packin31)
See User information
Randy,

You are in deep too. Keep trucking you will have it done by Thanksgiving

Posted on: 2007/10/4 6:06
Tom
1931 833 468 Coupe
Packard Registry|1931 Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Powerwahed the engine and front chassis today. Drilled out the broken exhaust bolts and rethreaded the holes.
Filled the hydraulic pump and got the cylinders responding responding equally.
Taking four days off for the other hobby - TRAINS!

Posted on: 2007/10/16 19:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 37 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved