Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
214 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 212

Ross, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1935 1200 speedo gears
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bill Heptig
See User information
I went to the mechanics today to pick up my car, it had the rear end upgraded from a 4.69 to a 4.06 so it can be driven a bit faster without damaging the engine. Thing is it changes the ratio of the gear drive for the speedo. When the speedo says 50 my car is actually going 60. Is there a way to change the speedo drive to fix the indicated speed new gears, recalibrated instrument?

Posted on: 2022/7/8 11:43
ClassicCrusier
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 1200 speedo gears
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If there was a factory option for the new axle ratio you might be able to find the proper Packard cable pinion gear from one of the vendors. I believe the number of pinion teeth needed for an axle ratio is listed in the parts manual.

If nothing is available you will probably need to have a conversion box custom made at one of the speedo shops. Do a search for speedometer ratio conversion box and several sites will come up that offer various options including some where they will put together a gear train with different teeth in the set of gears to get a proper speed change and keep the correct cable rotation direction. I don't know if the threaded nut Packard used in 35 at the cable ends will be the same as anything modern but since the conversion box will go inline in the cable that might be a sticking point..

One of the sites that came up was Bob's Speedometer which I believe is the company owned by one of our frequent posters. If it is he is a Packard owner and should be able to give you a definitive answer as to what is available.

Posted on: 2022/7/8 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1935 1200 speedo gears
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just check page 182 of the 1933-1936 Parts List for identification of all the speedo cable pinion gears required for each rear axle ratio. The gear change is done at the transmission end of the speedo drive cable.

Posted on: 2022/7/8 17:37
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved