Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
217 user(s) are online (139 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 217

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Earl C. Anthony San Francisco 1953
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
As I recall the picture it was well-below the height of the parapets. And not exactly a high speed track, also for customers to take test drives as well, as I recall.

EDIT - it's a well-known and seen photograph over the years, I'll make another concerted look for it.

Posted on: 2009/3/30 10:44
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
had a test track on the roof.
That's kind of a scary thought. What kind of track and what happens if something goes amiss--like a steering or brake job not quite up to spec?

Here is another NYC roof-top story. During WWII Aberchrombie & Fitch had a sale on Mannlicher-Schoenauers (they were a gun store then, not a clothing brand) because the only ammunition for them was German and unobtainable. My father went to see about one and they took him up on the roof to test fire into barrels of sand. If I recall correctly, that was at 38th and Park.

Can you imagine that today, helicopters, SWAT teams?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:34
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Faust
See User information
Quote:
had a test track on the roof.
That's kind of a scary thought. What kind of track and what happens if something goes amiss--like a steering or brake job not quite up to spec?

Here is another NYC roof-top story. During WWII Aberchrombie & Fitch had a sale on Mannlicher-Schoenauers (they were a gun store then, not a clothing brand) because the only ammunition for them was German and unobtainable. My father went to see about one and they took him up on the roof to test fire into barrels of sand. If I recall correctly, that was at 38th and Park.

Can you imagine that today, helicopters, SWAT teams?

Posted on: 2009/3/30 21:34
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved