Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
181 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 178

humanpotatohybrid, Don B, Wat_Tyler, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Ongoing charging issues
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Rockabilly
See User information
Seller is happy to send a return shipping label and fix/replace the generator. I'm going to go that route for now and see how it goes.

Thank you for everyone's input and I'll be sure to follow up.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 9:08
Catch me on Instagram @rockabillydad or @pastironworks
1951 Packard 300
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

humanpotatohybrid
See User information
Before you pull the generator off, you can try one more thing. Have the car at low idle. Read the voltage between ground and the armature. On a correctly functioning generator, you should see some voltage, but below 6. Slowly rev up the engine (twist on the carb) and you should see the voltage climb, before plateauing at about 7 roughly at/above normal driving RPM's.

On yours, if the generator is the problem, I would expect the voltage reading would be quite low even at moderate RPM's.

Posted on: 2023/4/6 10:02
'55 400. Needs aesthetic parts put back on, and electrical system sorted.
'55 Clipper Deluxe. Engine is stuck-ish.
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Home away from home
Home away from home

kunzea
See User information
As discussed previously, you can test the generator function by observing the armature voltage while momentarily grounding the field. Also, with the generator and regulator connected and the engine running, the armature voltage should be 7+ volts. However, this doesn't mean that the cutout is working. The cutout connects the armature to the battery when the voltage is high enough and disconnects it when the engine isn't running. This keeps the battery from shorting through the armature when the engine is stopped. I think it is normally open and closed when sufficiently energized. The cutout coil pulls against a spring that keeps the contact open until the electromagnetic force overcomes the spring. There's a tang in the regulator that is bent to change the spring length which changes the cut-in voltage. If it never closes the armature never connects to the battery. If I have something wrong or omitted here please elaborate. This is my experience from my 1951 200 with Delco.https://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/83.cfm Through a long processes of tracing OEM-supersession-substitution I arrived at a Standard VR8 which is in-stock at O'Reilly Auto Parts.https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/standard-ignition/standard-ignition-6-volt-45-amp-voltage-regulator/std0/vr8?q=vr8&pos=0

Attach file:

gif  3-coil Voltage Regulator.gif (34.36 KB)
85709_64320d4697206.gif 400X210 px

Posted on: 2023/4/8 19:19
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved