Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
188 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 186

dick29, Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: When I hit the pedal it cuts the power on my 1949 22 series
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
Quote:

Dave O wrote:
You can find the wiring for the Overdrive unit in the Literature Archive, just scroll down after you find your wiring diagram. As I am rewiring a 1949, but am no expert by any means, I did some tracing of the schematic, and I don't understand why a malfunction of the Overdrive kick down switch would stop power going to the starter to turn the engine over. I see that the Overdrive relay gets it's power from the starter solenoid but that's it. Does anyone know?.

I'm glad your mystery seems to be found. However now it just leaves me with questions.

Dave O

We will have to keep in touch. I see obvious issues in my wiring and I have the drive to get it done but I don't have the knowledge lol

Posted on: 2023/4/22 23:19
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
I just realized that I could loosen or displace the kickdown switch and see if the car starts with out it activating. Will do that in the morning.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 6:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I've been rewiring for a while. Try to take each function of the car at a time. I purchased my wire from Shercoauto & Marine supply. I used tinned marine wire. They have the colored striped wire, and sizes you will need. Very reasonable. There is a wire gauge chart Howard send me. Its for the 23rd series but the wire gauge size will be the same I just have to figure out how to attach it to this post.

Dave O

Attach file:

pdf 48 wire size (2).pdf Size: 1,354.43 KB; Hits: 37

Posted on: 2023/4/23 6:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
When driving in overdrive, flooring the accellerator causes the overdrive kickdown switch to momentarily disable the ignition system to allow the overdrive unit to shift into direct drive with the throttle open. ("Passing gear")

If the switch or the related linkage sticks, or if the switch has an internal short, or if the related wiring has a short, the ignition system will not function and the car will not start.

If the linkage is out of adjustment or sticking, it can cause the kickdown switch to disable the ignition when the accellerator pedal is depressed to start the car.

Cleaning up the linkage may help. You might also try, when starting the car, pressing down the accelerator pedal just far enough to engage the starter switch. Pressing the pedal down too hard may engage the kickdown switch, which will prevent the engine from starting.

A car that is started by pressing down the accellerator will have some means of automatically disabling the starter function once the engine is running to prevent the starter from engaging with the engine running.

I suggest having a service manual on hand before attempting to adjust the linkage or making any wiring changes.

It's important that both the starting and the overdrive kickdown functions work properly, and it's very important that the starter not be engaged when flooring the accellerator with the engine running.

Read the owner's manual to be sure you are using the correct starting procedure.

Posted on: 2023/4/23 6:31
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

1949 Super 8 DeLuxe
See User information
I've cleaned out the carb starter and it seems to be working just fine now. But now I'm getting a rapid clicking sound from the starter solenoid. Full battery, starter passed the bench test and has run recently.

It's s ghost I tell ya. I solve one problem and create a next. I might put back the old starter solenoid since that doesn't seem to have been the problem.

Posted on: 2023/4/24 18:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
Does the clicking occur when the engine is ruunning? If so, it may indicate that the starter is trying to engage with the engine running. Bad news.

If the clicking occurs when trying to crank the engine, it may indicate a battery problem or a bad connection somewhere in the battery connections to the starter.

Another possibility is that the starter has an internal problem.

Clicking aside, does the car still start normally?

Posted on: 2023/4/24 19:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
I remember in your previous post you said you bench tested the starter and it worked fine. Another thought; maybe you should have the starter tested for internal wiring issues. I realize the starter not working is an intermittent issue, which is always hard to find, but the starting system is pretty simple. Power from the ignition switch is sent to the Carb switch. Linkage to the Carb when pressed causes the steel ball to to move, completing the circuit through the other wire to the solenoid, the solenoid switch closes, energizing the starter. When the engine runs vacuum is created at the carburetor, pulling the steel ball away, disconnecting the circuit to the starter solenoid.

Posted on: 2023/4/24 21:35
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
It starts right up and drives every time. Its when i go to accelerate from a complete stop, i.e.: stop sign, light, etc. If i give it too much gas while taking off it falls on its face and has died once.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 14:29
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Teddyh53Clip
See User information
It starts right up and drives every time. Its when i go to accelerate from a complete stop, i.e.: stop sign, light, etc. If i give it too much gas while taking off it falls on its face and has died once.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 14:29
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Accelerator pump.

Posted on: 2023/9/21 14:44
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved