Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
96 user(s) are online (80 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 96

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 5th Shock Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Is there any magic involved in removal of the fifth shock on the '48 Custom. This is the one with the side ball-stud mount on the driver side like the '47 (not the '48 onward). I've removed the nut and the lock washer behind the mount bracket on the axle housing and reinstalled the nut without the washer flush with the stud. It's been soaked in Kroil for a couple days and I've inserted a porta-power hydraulic jaws from stud to housing and hammered on the boss (vibration) and used a pry bar simultaneously with all the force I can apply with the porta-power (all my weight on it) and it hasn't broke free. Am I correct in assuming this is some sort of tapered fit that's welded itself together rather than a straight stud?

Posted on: 2023/7/5 17:16
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 5th Shock Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Don't remember any issues with removing my 47 shock but there may be enough difference in 48 attachment that others would be better informed. Like reluctant brake drum hubs, one possibility might be to use a propane torch to gently heat the shock end and see if expansion would help along with some persuasion.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 18:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: 1948 5th Shock Removal
Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Well, posting the query seems to have done the trick... along with a bigger pry bar. I was concerned about damaging the stud to bar connection which appears to be a ball and socket joint and not a beefy one. By Packard standards it looks possibly rather fragile. I was afraid I'd break it off. Well, a long pry bar with all the force of the hydraulic ram and beating on it finally broke it free. It does look like a tapered fit but after 75 years it was no longer just "fit", but had become one.

The odd thing is there's really no need for a tapered fit joint. A straight stud would have worked just fine but leave it to Packard to over-engineer things.

Posted on: 2023/7/5 18:31
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved