Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
211 user(s) are online (138 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 211

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn Relay
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Hello to all; Can anyone tell me if I have the correct wiring info on this horn relay. I looked at the schematic, and labeled what I though was right, but now I am second guessing it. I labeled it H- for the Horns. B- for the Battery and S- for the switch on the steering wheel. Should H- and S- be reversed.

Dave O

Attach file:

jpg  Horn relay2.jpg (179.34 KB)
224854_64bac5eb015e7.jpg 1760X1894 px

Posted on: 2023/7/21 12:53
 Top  Print   

Re: Horn Relay
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
From what I can see your labels look to be correct. The open or fixed relay contact is at H and S looks to have a blob of solder in which a fine reddish wire coming from the coil should be attached. That only leaves the middle terminal as B which would connect with the moving part of the contact probably thru the relay core and its mounting and to one end of the coil.

Here is part of a diagram showing the relay.

Attach file:

jpg  relay.jpg (11.27 KB)
209_64bac96f239a1.jpg 340X278 px

Posted on: 2023/7/21 13:08
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Fist off thanks Howard, secondly; so what does the steering column horn switch do in relationship in the the relay. There is full 6V power in the relay from the battery. There is an open point system to operate the horns. Does it connect power to the open point to close it?. It can't be a grounding. So many questions.

Dave O

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
I'm sure the posters here already know this so the comment is intended for others who may come along later with a similar question.

Keep in mind the horns on Packard and on most older cars typically work by a ground rather than by the switch supplying power. In other words, the horn button completes a ground to the relay which in turn supplies power to the horn.

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
One end of the relay actuating coil is connected to power at the B terminal and the other end of the coil is connected to the horn button from the S terminal where it is grounded to complete the circuit and close the relay points to sound the horn

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:18
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here is a horn ring assy diagram that was used starting with 41 Clippers and was the same electrically for all thru 54. It is of a 47 wheel but shows the components and how the ground path starting with the steering shaft connects thru pieces to the contact area of the horn ring. When the ring is pushed, contact to ground is made and then sent back out to the wire running thru the steering shaft and finally ending at the relay S terminal.

While the electrical path is the same thru 54, the way the horn ring mounts to the wheel and how the horn button emblem is removed changed. 41-47 the horn ring is held by three small screws accessed thru holes drilled in the hub on the bottom side of the wheel. The emblem is in several pieces all held in the horn ring assy by a chrome ring and is not as easily removable as other years and type wheels. In 48-54 models the emblem is one piece and comes off with a push and slight twist CCW. 3 screws in the front side visible when the emblem is removed hold the ring to the wheel.

Attach file:

jpeg  horn ring electrical path.jpeg (50.21 KB)
209_64baecfbe4004.jpeg 480X484 px

Posted on: 2023/7/21 15:41
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave O
See User information
Thank you all for your tutorial. I have never been much of an electrical person. But I enjoy learning as much as I can and find it rewarding and stimulating. Once I understand it, I've got it. But sometimes I just feel the need to understand it. During the total rewire of this car there were many times I didn't understand why Packard spliced where they did, but I just followed the schematic and didn't question it too much. I'm getting close to being done, there will be no old factory wire left in this car. I just hope I didn't screw it up.

Thanks again, you all make me feel much better when I question something.

Dave

Posted on: 2023/7/21 18:42
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Tom Martin
See User information
do you hear the relay clicking when you mash the horn button? Another test is to ground the switch terminal. like to use a jumper wire and just temporarily touch the switch terminal. that should make it click also (energised). If tou cak, put a 12V test light on the horn terminal and it should light when the relay is activated.

Posted on: 2023/7/23 17:29
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved