Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
128 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 126

Don B, DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Testing 22-23 series fuel gage
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am presuming the way it is connected with clips in the photo is what you mean when saying works fine out of the tank. Float hanging down reads empty, up reads full. What happens when you put the sender back in the tank? No reading at all, intermittent, incorrect, or goes full scale?

Is it using the original wiring which diagrams show as one continuous length and no inline connectors when back in the tank? Have you tried adding a specific sender ground using a ring terminal under one of the sender mounting screws with the other end connected to a clean spot on the body sheetmetal or frame?

Posted on: 2023/7/25 18:02
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks Howard; With sender in tank the gauge moves about 1/16 inch. The jumper wires are connected to the ground for the sender and the wire to gauge. Have tested ground with continuity tester and run separate wire to dash gauge. My extra NOS sender does the same thing. Also have run separate ground wire to screw that has tooth washer and holds sender to tank. Also all wiring is new.

Posted on: 2023/7/25 18:26

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I would still lean toward something ground related at the tank. Presuming the wire to gauge is intact and didn't somehow get damaged and does not have a bad terminal to wire crimp or connection with a high resistance which if I understand correctly you temporarily replaced with no effect, then the only difference in the two hookups would be the specific ground going directly to the sender you have connected via the clip. The tank making a poor ground connection to the body sheetmetal has been a frequent problem others have experienced once tanks are taken out and replaced or one of the repros installed.

I am one who had tank grounding issues after having the 47 tank cleaned and had to add a separate ground from the sender mounting screw directly to the body.

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_1634.jpeg (56.66 KB)
209_64c06a5293603.jpeg 521X578 px

Posted on: 2023/7/25 18:48
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Thanks Howard; I think I will run a second ground wire tomorrow and see if anything changes. Dell

Posted on: 2023/7/25 20:47

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved