Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
238 user(s) are online (115 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 234

Ross, BigKev, Patrick, TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Filter Ceramic Element Clogging
Just popping in
Just popping in

Out Islander
See User information
Although there may be no sediment in the glass bowl or on the surface of a ceramic fuel filter element, the element can be invisibly clogged by a long-term buildup of varnish in the pores from the flow of gasoline. This clogging will act to starve gasoline supply to the carburetor, especially at higher speeds. Halfway through the attached discussion is an excellent primer on cleaning and backflushing a ceramic fuel filter element to restore its permeability and effectiveness.

Posted on: 2023/9/27 17:56
 Top  Print   
Like (1)

Re: Fuel Filter Ceramic Element Clogging
Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
Good tip. We found acetone, if you can still get it, will cut anything. However, lacquer thinner should do the trick and is more benign.
I now use a modern pleated paper element in my original glass bowl filter just before the carb.

Also have a filter at the NAPA E8011 solenoid fuel pump near the gas tank which i use only to prime the system after the car's sat more than a week, which it invariably has given our hellish traffic.

Jeff Adkins, Moose Motors, Penngrove near Petaluma in the North Bay (707) 792-9985, packardguy54@sbcglobal.net had/has NOS glass bowl filters w/ paper elements, as well as most mechanical bits 1935-56 Packards, drum brake parts for all cars Auburn through Zephyr. Tell him Mike, '47 Super Clipper, Walnut Creek sent you.

Posted on: 2023/9/28 15:17
 Top  Print   

Re: Fuel Filter Ceramic Element Clogging
Home away from home
Home away from home

tsherry
See User information
Nail polish remover is mostly acetone; I use it a LOT.

Posted on: 2023/9/28 19:34
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved