Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 136

Joe Santana, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1925 333 Won't drive - Clutch issue?
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
I have a Packard 333 6 cylinder. Spent last couple years getting it running, but have never driven it (probably hasn't been driven in ~20 years).

Here's the behavior: Engine running, depress clutch (appears to mechanically work properly, feels like proper pressure), put into gear. Let the clutch out, feel a very slight movement when clutch pedal fully released. No bogging down of the engine.

I think I read that the clutch plate can sometimes get stuck. Any recommendations or thoughts on next steps to see what's wrong?

Posted on: 12/11 9:52
 Top  Print   

Re: 1925 333 Won't drive - Clutch issue?
Home away from home
Home away from home

TxGoat
See User information
A stuck clutch will not release. With the engine running and a stuck clutch, you won't be able to put the car in gear.
It sounds like your car has a badly slipping clutch.

I assume the clutch linkage is free and operating correctly and that the transmission is intact.

Have you tried moving the car in second or high gear? Low gear may be stripped, or the low/reverse shifting fork may be loose on its shaft.

Posted on: 12/11 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Sounds like the complete opposite to me. You seem to have no clutch action at all. Either the lining on the clutch is worn, or broken away completely. Maybe the pressure plate springs are broken/seized or some other reason is keeping the clutch from engaging with the flywheel.
To have a 'stuck' clutch, (meaning that the flywheel and clutch can not be separated) would result in ONLY being able to start the car in neutral, in gear you would be turning over the engine and driving the transmission and the rest of the drive line off the starter which of course would not only turnover too slowly to start the car, if it did so you would be in a moving car!!
So, back to your issue. The transmission needs to be removed and the clutch pressure plate and clutch disc need to be sent out for rebuild. While you are at it, remove the flywheel and get it refaced so that when you put it all together you have a smooth working assembly. Oh, and replace the throw-out bearing, even if it looks good you want to have this as new as the clutch so you don't have to go in there again, likely in your lifetime!
When reinstalling the clutch you will need to keep it centred on the flywheel. I did this by using the main shaft from the transmission as a centring tool. If you do not want to disassemble the transmission, a tool of some sort will need to be inserted to keep everything aligned so that the transmission will slide back into the clutch splines.
Bob J.

Posted on: 12/11 10:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Multi-disc clutch, is it not?

Posted on: 12/11 15:13
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
I have not tried in a high gear, will give that an attempt.

So it sounds like so far that is not much in terms of simple fixes to try, sounds like it's going to require quite a bit of work.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Posted on: 12/11 15:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob J
See User information
Like Clint Black's song says "Fix that car 6 ways to Sunday, and it won't start again when Monday rolls around!"
If the fixes were easy these old girls would not have been parked for decades.
Bob J.

Posted on: 12/11 15:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
Have done some further inspection:
1) Tried is in 3rd gear while running, still nothing
2) Opened inspection plate right in front of gear shifter. I can see the throwout bearing and moving when depressing the clutch (see pics). Seem like that would be normal
3) There is a second inspection plate closer to the engine (see pic). Nothing happens when I depress the clutch. Have not inspected that while running.

In any event, seems the issue is between the clutch and the engine.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated, but clear the next step is to pull it out (no easy fix).

Anyone know of where to source clutch/trans parts for 1925 333? I know I need to pull it out first, but am hoping I can at least start investigating parts.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpeg  IMG_4961.jpeg (67.84 KB)
225195_657c666f83913.jpeg 480X640 px

jpeg  IMG_4968.jpeg (88.13 KB)
225195_657c667dcb8a9.jpeg 640X480 px

Posted on: 12/15 9:45
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Warren Classics
See User information
So with help from a friend, I pulled out the clutch. They are definitely worn and a lot of dust in the bell housing. Next step is to either find a new set of clutch plates or get these redone. Does anyone know the specs for the thickness of the clutch plates if I can get them resurfaced? Any recommendations on where to find a replacement set or places that might redo the existing ones? Located in South East Michigan

Attach file:

jpeg  Small Trans.jpeg (546.61 KB)
225195_65a3e513863e1.jpeg 960X1280 px

jpeg  Small Clutch Plates2.jpeg (549.89 KB)
225195_65a3e522804f4.jpeg 768X1024 px

jpeg  Small Clutch Plates1.jpeg (572.12 KB)
225195_65a3e52a68aa6.jpeg 768X1024 px

jpeg  Small Bell Housing.jpeg (382.72 KB)
225195_65a3e5317d669.jpeg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 1/14 8:44
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved