Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
201 user(s) are online (150 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 200

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Production Numbers Confusion
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
While looking over the Model Information page on this site to try to determine how many of my 1935 model 1205, 883 convertible sedans were produced, I found that all 18 different super eight models are shown as having 1392 units produced. The models included in the list were all of the 1203, 1204 and 1205 models. Surely, not each and every one of those 18 models had exactly 1392 built so I assume the data means that 1392 cars were produced which included all 18 of the different super eight models. Is there any data that would show me just how many of the 883 models alone were produced? While adding mine to the registry today, I found only one other member who had an 883 and that is the same car I recently bought from that owner. There is also a very nice black 883 survivor car listed. Any info anyone can give on the production numbers of only the 883 model would be greatly appreciated. If actual production numbers do not exist, it would be interesting to have some estimates from the knowledgeable Packard folks on this forum.

Glen

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_2183.JPG (2,208.65 KB)
225495_6584f80403d15.jpg 1936X1936 px

Posted on: 12/21 21:54
 Top  Print   

Re: Production Numbers Confusion
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If any factory records were kept in this era by individual body type, they have not survived. The factory did keep such records in the postwar era. And yes, 1392 is the production of all 12th Series Super Eights including the several wheelbases and all body styles. Estimates of production by body style are available, you might contact the Packard Club roster keeper for your year and model who may have that information handy. Estimates are based on the highest known sequential portion of your vehicle number which of course is specific to your particular chassis and body type. For example, if your vehicle number is 883-250 and numbering started at 201, you'd know that at least 50 were produced. I've been collecting such data for decades, the highest known 883 number that I'm personally aware of is 883-209.

Charles Blackman who just recently passed made a career of studying such production numbers for prewar cars and much of his work has been published by the Packard Club, if you're not a member perhaps you should consider it. I've got his data for your vehicle somewhere, if I can locate it I'll amend this post with his conclusions.

Posted on: 12/21 22:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
Owen,
Thanks for your quick response. Sorry I neglected to list my car sequence number which is 883-228. After further research on this site, the Packard Decoder states it is the 28th car produced of the super eight convertible sedan series. The 209 car you cited is the black survivor I mentioned and owned by Kevin Murray. So, we know there were at least 28 super eight convertible sedans produced. I'll contact the roster keeper to see if I can get more info.

Glen

Posted on: 12/22 10:37
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I've just been provided with an advance copy of an article prepared by Charles Blackman prior to his passing covering all the 1935 and 1936 Senior 8-cylinder models, the article is scheduled for publication soon in the Packard Club quarterly publication and was provided to me by the editor for the purposes of updating this thread. Mr. Blackman's research using highest known sequential number methodology indicates production of the 883 was at least 51 units. Thanks for editor Stuart Blond for providing the information!

Posted on: 12/22 10:54
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

glentre
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
I've just been provided with an advance copy of an article prepared by Charles Blackman prior to his passing covering all the 1935 and 1936 Senior 8-cylinder models, the article is scheduled for publication soon in the Packard Club quarterly publication and was provided to me by the editor for the purposes of updating this thread. Mr. Blackman's research using highest known sequential number methodology indicates production of the 883 was at least 51 units. Thanks for editor Stuart Blond for providing the information!

Thanks for the follow-up on the 883 production numbers. My car appears to be one of only 51 known rather than one of 1392 as I thought when I bought the car. Likely there were more than 51 produced but it looks like the actual number may never be known.

I appreciate your input,

Glen

Posted on: 12/22 12:53
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
True, the exact number will probably never be known. But it's highly unlikely at most to be even a handful more than 51 for the 883 style; Blackman's data captured 91% of all the 1935 Super Eight production and of the remainder, we need to keep in mind that open car production was a quite small component of the overall.

Posted on: 12/22 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bob Supina
See User information
I had been working with Chuck Blackman since 1967 on documenting the 1937 Super-Eights and Twelves, and I will tell you it is a really tough job because a lot of owners..

1. don't know how to interpret numbers on their cars..
2. don't reply to phone calls, email or USPS mail.
One can only take the highest serial number of each body style and hope the sum approaches the total known to have been produced.
For the 1937s we have a 97% confidence level that we know APPROXIMATELY how many were produced in each model.

Posted on: 12/22 20:30
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved