Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 162

West Peterson, Marty or Marston, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 133 134 135 (136) 137 138 139 ... 146 »

Re: KPack's 1954 Panama
Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
That jam color looks a lot like the blue that is on my car. Which is Dupont Dark Aqua Metallic.

I once got a can of what was supposed to be Bikini Blue from Tower Paint and it was no where close to the original color. It looked closer to Meridian Blue.

Posted on: 2/6 13:15
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Kev - the paint matching seems to be a tough game...the same paint code apparently doesn't mean the paint is the same across companies. The blue I got from the shop does look close to Bikini Blue....it's pretty vibrant. Unfortunately it just doesn't pair with anything else on the car.

Don - These pictures show what I'm talking about. From a distance it doesn't look terrible, but once you see the blue next to everything else (windlace, door panels, trim) you can see how off it looks. There are four different colors of blue in these pictures. All except for the jambs are at least in the same family with gray undertones. Granted these are taken indoors, so maybe it will be different in sunlight, but probably not much.
Click to see original Image in a new window

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2/6 16:36
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Maybe yours is Dupont Light Aqua Metallic!

I all seriousness,.I'd take it to either another paint supply store and/or look through their chip books yourself and then when you a close match take it chip and your gas dooe outside in the direct sunlight and compare. That how I found the color I did.

Posted on: 2/6 17:16
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Any if you get more paint, prime and spray a test panel before you put it on the car. May save time in the event it still doesn't match.

Posted on: 2/6 17:27
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Yeah, I should have done a test panel first. I knew the paint wasn't going to be a match from prior experience, but I thought it would at least look a little closer than what it came out as. Problem is I have very little time to work on the car and things like this set the timeline back significantly. The closest paint shop is 45 minutes away and they aren't open on weekends. Makes it very hard for me to get there. Then to spray the car requires me to mask everything like crazy because I have to shoot it in the shop with it being winter outside. But if I can find a better paint match it will be worth the effort in the end.

I'm just itching to get the interior put back together though....I have parts laying all over the place (organized though) and I want to get them back where they belong.

Posted on: 2/6 18:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Sounds like your paint supplier didn't put much effort in matching the color to the gas filler door provided.

Our local club did a refresh on a 1940 110 that had rusted through headlight buckets and a local auto body supply store provided paint that was an exact match to one of the old buckets left with them as a sample. Once sprayed on replacement buckets there was no noticeable difference to the rest of the car.

Posted on: 2/6 18:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Quote:

BDeB wrote:
Sounds like your paint supplier didn't put much effort in matching the color to the gas filler door provided.

Our local club did a refresh on a 1940 110 that had rusted through headlight buckets and a local auto body supply store provided paint that was an exact match to one of the old buckets left with them as a sample. Once sprayed on replacement buckets there was no noticeable difference to the rest of the car.

They used the camera on the fuel door and ran it through the computer. I think they were looking for modern paint code matches and they didn't come up with anything.

I asked the guy there how to use their mixing cup to measure 4:1:1 when it said 4:1:10%:1. He had no idea. That didn't inspire much confidence in their abilities to give me a paint match.

Posted on: 2/6 18:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Our supplier did a computer scan as well but then made final adjustments manually with spot samples to get an exact match.

Posted on: 2/6 19:48
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Quote:

kevinpackard wrote:

I asked the guy there how to use their mixing cup to measure 4:1:1 when it said 4:1:10%:1. He had no idea. That didn't inspire much confidence in their abilities to give me a paint match.

You ignore the column 10% The cups I buy online (50 pack) have separate 4:1:1 and 4:1:10% sections.

Sounds like you need to find a better supplier.

Posted on: 2/6 20:04
-BigKev

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

kevinpackard
See User information
Yeah I found the correct mixing after looking online.

I'm going to be checking out two other places about an hour and a half away this coming weekend if they are open. One of them looks like it caters to restorers and hobbyists.

Can I spray over fresh single stage after scuffing it up? Or do I need to do another sealer layer?

Posted on: 2/6 21:47
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 133 134 135 (136) 137 138 139 ... 146 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved