Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
215 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 214

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 42 »

Re: 1956 Clipper Hot Rod
Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
For information purposes: Soda blasting will only remove surface (scale) rust. For frames sand blasting is still the best.

Tom

Posted on: 2009/4/22 15:09
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

greendragon wrote:
the only thing i would have done different would be to have built it with a 3/over insted of the twin. unless i was super serious about racing it. then it would have been a 5647 with standard spring suspension also. Hummm interesting name 55packardguy. i have a 55 i'm calling a
"caribben clipper" so he can't have that one or i'd suggest it!

Last I heard AL had a very good one. I expect he wants it kept on the QT, or he would've posted it by now. Or maybe he's just forgetful, unlike me.

I don't think you could get a '56 with standard spring suspension? I still think a TL could be raced if it was set up right (just don't ask me how to set it up). One essential though IMO, the leveler would have to be on manual override.

Sure wish Jack Harlin were around to talk to you about V8 Packard racing. He was one of the very few.

Attach file:

jpg  (21.10 KB)
917_49f27bc4f2fc7.jpg 612X792 px

Posted on: 2009/4/24 21:58
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
T/L was an option on all 1956 Clippers until about half way through the model run when it was made standard on the Supers and the Custom/Executives. The Deluxe usually was configured with the standard suspension, but could be ordered with the T/L

Posted on: 2009/4/25 0:56
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
OH!! HE!! Guy, no big secret. I've just been busy with spring stuff. The name of the car is "THE CLIPPERROD" I am checking with a licence making guy at the local flea market about making me a front plate for the car. However things are going to be on hold for a while. My renters moved out almost in the middle of the night and left me a flea bag. Between getting the house ready to re-rent or sell and finding these dirt-bags, does not leave much time for car stuff. But things will get better.

Posted on: 2009/4/27 9:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

fredrickr wrote:
T/L was an option on all 1956 Clippers until about half way through the model run when it was made standard on the Supers and the Custom/Executives. The Deluxe usually was configured with the standard suspension, but could be ordered with the T/L

Thanks for that heads-up, fredrickr. The info I looked up is fairly similar. Until May 1, 1956, the TL was available as an option on the Deluxe, was a mandatory option on the Custom (and presumably standard or mandatory option on all the seniors including the Exec). After May 1, TL was standard on all Clippers and Packards.

So there undoubtedly were some '56 Deluxe models with standard suspension. It seems like any '56 model without TL would be a rarity, if you were (un)lucky enough to find one (but if anyone could just happen to have one in his stable, it would be the Dragon man).

(The info is from Kimes, which is generally a reliable source. I wonder if actual production numbers by suspension type might exist somewhere for '55-'56?)

Anyway, buyer beware. I've inquired about some '55 Clippers and my first question is, "Does it have TL suspension" and often the answer has been "no." And one has to be careful about '56 Clippers, too. Good to know that.

AL,

Sorry to hear about that renter situation. I've been spoiled by great long-term renters in my triplex. You reminded me how lucky I've been. I hope your situation takes a turn for the better soon.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 22:19
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Fred
See User information
I have actually seen 2 '56 Clipper Deluxes without the T/L option. One was at Hershey in '07 and the second was on eBay last year. I've mever seen production numbers as to how many Deluxes were were equipped with T/L but I suspct that the number would be actually rather low ad the the Deluxe model was the entry level model of Clipper an as such usually would be sold with the least amount of optional equipment.

Posted on: 2009/4/28 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
fredrickr

Kind of hard to say, isn't it? The TL was only $150 extra (at least in '55), and it's been noted as a favorite dealer-ordered option.

I don't know why I get so fascinated by the whole TL/Spring split. I guess partly because even though TL was an option, it creates an almost totally different car in ride and handling.

A number of Clippers hide a little secret under their exteriors that makes an enormous difference. I wonder if anyone has ever had a horrible shock buying a Packard assuming it had TL and finding out after the papers were signed that it had springs? It's like buying a Gen 3 Camaro and getting a 4-banger when you thought you had a V8.

Posted on: 2009/4/29 17:43
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
GUY

That is why it is always best to ask even what may appear to be stupid questions, sometimes.

ALK

Posted on: 2009/4/30 10:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Allen Kahl
See User information
well a minor update, not much though. Stopped by the body shop yesterday to give him the paint code for the Jamaica Yellow and he hauls me back to the rear of the shop and shows me the car in the paint booth. Now the car is nowhere near ready to paint but they have done some grinding and sanding on the rust spots. He is still trying to talk me into a full body off and as much as I would love to do it, neither the time nor the money is available. He said that everyone who looks at the car loves it. The big news as far as I am concerned is that he says they "DRIVE' it back and forth into the garage and out so the car runs every day. That for me is a plus. More when I get it.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 11:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
AL,

I think that is big news, that they can start the dual-quad monster easily enough to move it around every day. They wouldn't do it if it was balky or killing, either. So that's amazing in itself. START, RUNS, MOVES! PARK IT ANYWHERE!!

Did you get any more news on the origins of the car?

P.S. Please take some in-progress bodyshop pics. You will want a photo record of this process, I think.

Posted on: 2009/5/16 1:34
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 3 4 5 (6) 7 8 9 ... 42 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved