Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
205 user(s) are online (135 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 203

BigKev, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Unidentified engine noise?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
I've only seen the inside of the speedo once, but that sounds like exactly what it's doing. Does the parts or service manual have an exploded view of the speedometer? Or does someone have pics of a rebuild they've done?

I have an extra speedometer from a clipper Ive had since I got my patrician but it's unfortunatly in parts. And like I said i've only seen it's guts once.

Also slightly off topic I have a temp or oil gauge that the needle broke off of, are they trash after that happens or is it usefull to someone for repair?

It worked before my friend sat on it. And it's insides work but no needle. It just seems sucky to have to throw it out.

And way off topic, I don't know your guys experience with les schwabs, but they told me that it was too tight to work on and they wouldn't touch it. On top of parts availibility.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 10:59
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Service manual is very limited -- just shows how to change entire unit. There is currently on ebay a CD containing a King Seeley repair manual which would go into more detail. Even though it's for the 40s era the principal would be the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PACKARD-SPEEDOMETER-REPAIR-and-PARTS-MANUAL-1947-1948_W0QQitemZ270329718551QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item270329718551&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1171%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

Issue would be getting parts. Think the best bet is to send yours to a rebuilder or start looking for a complete speedo. Possibly your Clipper unit would have the piece, but it is precision and not easily worked on without tools and expertise. There is a hair spring which would need to be precisely adjusted as well so unit is calibrated.

The pictures are of a 54 unit but again, while principal is the same, construction is different. In pict 365 you see an aluminum cup with a rectangular piece on the outside. 364 is the underside and you see a magnet inside the cup and the rectangular piece. While nothing actually touches, the cup is rotated by the induced effect of the magnet & rectangular piece and is connected to the needle. What I suspect has happened is something has broken allowing the cup to shift and drop so the magnet is touching it while rotating.

As to your other gauge, don't think there is much hope without the needle. Again, it is a precision piece.

EDIT: Don't have a 56 unit to look at in detail, & don't remember exactly how that needle attaches. If just pressed onto end of stem like this one, wonder if the fact the collar & needle is not there has allowed the cup to slide back where it can touch. Might be worth taking your unit out and see exactly what has happened. Maybe as simple as pressing the needle back on. There is also a lube hole that could probably use a drop of light 3 in 1 type oil as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (36.34 KB)
209_49f9d8662a742.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (52.47 KB)
209_49f9d87926ae3.jpg 640X580 px

Posted on: 2009/4/30 11:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Best way to inspect and grease the cable is to unscrew it off the transmission and pull the inner cable out underneath the car. Fluid or oil will not leak out. Just don't drive the car with the cable off.

With the inner cable out you can inspect it for rust and kinks,.If the cable is rusty or kinked you may have to replace the whole cable. Inner and outer. But if it is not rusty or kinked just wipe it off with a rag, grease it with speedo cable grease and put it back where it came from. If the inner is kinked or rusty inspect the outer sheath and see if it is kinked or rusty. The cable should go in large smooth curves. If you bend it too tight the speedo will be noisy and jumpy. It's not a bad idea to check the cable under the hood and make sure it is not bent too sharp.

It is possible to replace just the inner cable if the outer sheath is OK. But usually if the inner is damaged it is because the outer is damaged. Usually because someone kinked the cable or because it developed a rusty spot where water dripped down on it over the years.

Do not grease the top 6" or foot of cable. You do not want excess grease working its way into the speedo.

After you do this reconnect the cable at the top and at the bottom. You may have to turn the inner cable a little to get it to go into place, if doesn't want to go in.

Do this first, it only cost a couple of $$$$ bucks for the grease and can be done in 1/2 hour. It should fix your problem, 99 times out of 100. Don't mess with your speedo till you do the cable first.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 17:42
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:
It should fix your problem, 99 times out of 100.

Agree 100% to check the cable first, but a few posts earlier he had unhooked the cable & noise had stopped. Also had mentioned he couldn't check for any erratic speedo action because the needle had fallen off.

Posted on: 2009/4/30 18:15
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Brandon
See User information
So it looks like im going to have to find a new speedo, it appears i have all the little bits that go in there, i just dont think theres any way im going to be able to re assemble that.

I will give it a go but probably not anytime soon, so if i do ill keep you guys posted on that.

Could someone possibly link me to one of the posts for brake conversion?

I tried searching for one in the forum but couldnt find it.

Ive had it with these brakes. They went completely out this last time (I thought it was just fade from the hills where i live).

Took it to Les Schwabs and they said they couldnt even check my fluid level!?

They thought you would have to take out the steering column haha!

It looks like the last time they would have been serviced would have been sometime in the 80's from waht i can tell anyway.

The only thing i know for sure about my brakes is that i have a bit of flutter, so air cleaner?

However im not really comfortable opening or using this unit anymore. and would like to switch over to something a bit newer so i can keep my Packard around for a while.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 13:03
** 1956 Packard Patrician **
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Several will agree with you. Unfortunately, there is nothing you will find that will drop in because of space constraints & location. The modern units need a higher or better mechanical advantage which will require a relocation of unit or modification of pedal arm. There are a couple of people that have made the changes so they can advise their or the best approach.

If you ultimately decide to keep the treadle vac it needs to be rebuilt by a competent person with the knowledge and most important, needed parts that are not included in rebuild kits. Just taking to an ordinary shop--even if you find one--won't do. There is a fellow that has been recommended by more than one poster.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 13:15
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Though I don't understand the comment that you can't even check the fluid level (unit must have been installed with the cover reversed!), TreadleVacs are certainly contentious units. They were used as original equipment in millions, perhaps even tens of millions of cars between 1952 and about 1962, I believe Lincoln was the last to use them about 1962 though Mercury, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Packard and many others used them apparently without consequence in their day. GM then developed their own version, manufactured by Delco-Morraine, generally thought to be a somewhat inferior unit. I've owned several cars with the Bendix unit and never had an issue, thru many tens of thousands of miles, as have many others. Yet there are stories to the contrary which I don't doubt, attributable perhaps to poorly done rebuild jobs. There are some key parts which are not included in rebuild kits and are only available from the better of the rebuilders like Ed Strain who have them made for their own captive service operations. Given the importance of brakes, I don't see that $210 or so for a top-notch rebuild is a problem.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 15:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Brandon

re:Les Schwabs incompetence.

Are you actually in Portland? If you are, there is a shop called "Majhor Murray's" on SE Milwaukie & SE Sandy near the Aladdin theater in Portland. All they work on are pre 1975 cars. They are very good at working on '40s & '50's cars. You can save alot of labor charges by taking it to them as they know how to work on these cars and don't spend 20 hours trying to diagnose. They are reasonable and have quite a following in the '50s car crowd. I've seen Packards in the service bays so I am sure they can help you with brake problems.

Bruce is the owner, and a great guy. They are in the business for the joy of working on old vehicles. Here is a story about their business.

http://www.bizjournals.com/portland/stories/2002/01/21/smallb1.html

Mahjour Murrays
3411 SE Milwaukie Ave
Portland,OR 97202
503-235-9821

Posted on: 2009/5/4 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Brandon, this is the BEST thing you can do with that TreadleVac:

Click to see original Image in a new window

If you want to talk modifications to improve the brake setup on your call, gimme a call, my phone number's listed in the Packard Service Index on here.

Posted on: 2009/5/4 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
depends on the t/v as far as i'm concerned! the packard version-parts! i'm use'n a t/v i came across from a diffenent brand of car. not sure what it is off of, it only has like two moving parts and gives no trouble! as for the speedo gear. i believe it is in the rear housing, behind the govenor. so it shouldn't leak hardly any fluid. if you ar still in need of a 56 sr speedo, let me know. i may have a spare.

Posted on: 2009/5/13 20:50
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved