Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
223 user(s) are online (143 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 220

Todd W. White, Don B, moodydavid16, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Re: First they came for the clunkers......
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Hee Hee.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yNJIsbzAHc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2yNJIsbzAHc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Posted on: 2009/5/6 18:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chuckltd
See User information
Where I live, the local government goes after unused cars rather viciously. If it is visible from the road and unregistered, you can't have it. In other words, you'd have to park the parts cars in your garage and leave the good ones outside. I've had to register every parts car I've had including my 59 Edsel. By the end of the summer, that one will have to be stripped and scrapped since my good one is nearing completion. The local car-nazis (sorry if that offends) have lately decided that any car that doesn't start, move forward and back under it's own power is also junk. If you're turned in by some angry neighbor, you have around 15 days to set up an appointment with an inspector and demonstrate the operability of all vehicles present. If a car is down for something major, say an engine rebuild, then I'd have to prove current repairs.
Lately, they've been gunning for 1975 and later cars. I've seen many perfectly good cars get scrapped because of lack of availability of emission parts. You could take a 1970 and 1979 thunderbirds and put them side by side. The 1979 runs 90% cleaner and at least 10% more efficient than 1970. Yet, they only gun for the 79. Go figure...
Our older and really old cars are less than 10% of the cars on the road and they're only 2-5% of all miles annually driven but they're the easiest target. Just like going after smokers for all of society's ills.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 2:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
portlandon -

Having worked in a GM dealership for the past several years (and now waiting for the other shoe to drop), I'm ROTF-LMAO at that video.

I believe that most U.S. auto industry execs would love to have all new vehicles do just that, but a year or so after the basic warranty expires - forcing owners to buy another one.

Posted on: 2009/5/7 7:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Dave Kenney
See User information
Quote:

BH wrote:
portlandon -

I believe that most U.S. auto industry execs would love to have all new vehicles do just that, but a year or so after the basic warranty expires - forcing owners to buy another one.

Hasn't the Big 3 been doing that for the last two decades?

Posted on: 2009/5/7 15:34
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Loyd Smith
See User information
Fortunately I live in a state where we, so far, are not bothered by the bureaucrats in this respect but I have lived in others where where the, "car Nazis," (I LIKE IT) reigned supreme. I am all for clean air but I am also all for common-sense. In case you folks haven't noticed, common-sense and bureaucrat are usually mutually exclusive, one to the other.

H. L. Mencken said it best well over a half-century ago:

"The only good bureaucrat is one with a pistol to his head. Put it in his hand and it's goodbye to The Bill of Rights."

Posted on: 2009/5/7 23:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
I agree with b.h. that video is great! hey tim, the vega? how many do you want? i know some one who has at least 50 of them. still deciding which one will come home with me. of course mine won't be STOCK!

Posted on: 2009/5/11 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Take a Cosworth Vega if they got any!!

http://www.cosworthvega.com/cosworth_vega_history.html

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
i don't know for sure what he dose have. i was on a packard mission that day. but i have wanted a vega since i was little and my step-uncle had one. That place is awsome! he has a packard powered, non-golden hawk stude coupe stock car that i want. oops reminds me i need to post that pic! tons of good stuff there! spent 6&1/2 hours walking non stop and saw maybe 1/4th of the place!

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Okay Green dragon:

How about a bone stock 71 Vega with 80hp base engine and 3 speed stick shift?

Oh, and no rust either.

Posted on: 2009/5/11 20:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
if you seriously want one i'll see what he has. i'd like to have one like that just to put away as a collectible. before thay all become sbc powered. or dust!

Posted on: 2009/5/12 19:19
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved