Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (90 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: the roof top
Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
I believe that the sliding "sunshine" top on the late 30's GM cars (i think was offered on Olds, Buick, Cadillac and LaSalle) was a Webasto design.

I saw a 37 Packard Su8 "with a sunroof" but it was a case of the top insert being replaced with a panel with snaps like a convertible top boot. Not factory and looked pretty leaky to me.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 16:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Economics was definitely the reason. The new wide sheets of metal made a one piece roof cheaper than an insert roof. Now the cheap cars could have a smooth top formerly found on expensive custom built cars.

It's ironic that the vinyl top made a comeback as a luxury feature in the sixties and seventies. In the 30s they were bragging that they had got rid of it.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 18:41
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Owen>>>If you get a chance, I'd like to have your vehicle #, and the large embossed number on the firewall. Thanks.

The numbers are {drum roll + cymbal crash}

VIN = X68592
Embossed Number = 268I40

thanks for all the replies - totally logical.

I'm feeling rather spunky tonight....after removing the front fenders and grill, and the head and squirting some magic fluid in the cylinders, I put a wrench on the crank nut and the engine turned with (what appears to be) good compression. I bought it on the premise that the engine might be frozen. The PO (previous owner) had it in his garage for 13 years and (alas) had too many car projects to contend with). He got it from an estate in Saginaw, Michigan. The interior is toast, but 98% complete and now a useable engine. Does it get any better than this?

Posted on: 2009/5/28 20:32
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The numbers are {drum roll + cymbal crash}

VIN = X68592
Embossed Number = 268I40

Many thanks for the thief-proof number. Your VN is not a Packard vehicle number, where did you get it from? Should be on the first line of the patent plate on the engine side of the cowl.

Posted on: 2009/5/28 22:50
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Ya I should have known....

the number from the first line of the plate is:

992 21915

the X number is shown on the title.

Update: turns out the X number is the engine number which was used to register the car. I have heard on several occassions and can be a pain to get changed in some states.

Posted on: 2009/5/29 2:07
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Portlandon says >> Hey are Packards tax deductible?

Hi Portlandon; I used to live in your fair city back in 1991-1993; great place!

I now work as a contract independent for the State of Kentucky and drive my personal vehicle for business use. I'm certain that the IRS wouldn't care if I press into service the 1936 Junior, once she is purring down the streets of Frankfort. As a dichotomy, I actually live in colorado, and there, the daily commuters would blow by me at high rate of speeds, although I recall years ago, when my dad was 86 and I was riding with him, he would obstinately drive in the passing lane at 40mph; saw more birds flipped that day than ever. I also threatened to get my dad a bumper sticker that said "I may be slow, but I'm a head of you"

Posted on: 2009/5/29 5:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
"Hi Portlandon; I used to live in your fair city back in 1991-1993; great place!"

Oh yes, the Glory days of the Portland Trailblazers! RIP CITY!

As for driving 40 in the passing lane......Your dad was lucky to get the bird. Nowdays you might get shot!

Posted on: 2009/5/29 11:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregg Shelton
See User information
Great find and welcome. Look at the topic "41 Battery cover" and you will see my project. Looks like we are at about the same point in refurbishment. I too have dis-assembled my car and now i have re-assembled for transport. (i am moving) I just went through the engine and the brakes.

Attach file:

jpg  (104.91 KB)
1536_4a216bb0a195f.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2009/5/30 12:25
Forty one is the one! Packard 120 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

James T Axman
See User information
Still learning about packard models, but I see that by around 1940, Packard made several changes overall....things started getting more round, and the split windshield (which eventually lead to curved glass). Nice project...
Seems to be in good restorable shape.

You are ahead of me in restoration though....I have just removed the front fenders and grill and started cleaning the engine. Started wire brush the piston tops and engine and removing stuff to get to other stuff (which always seems to be the case). Part of me wants to get the engine running, while my instinct is to separate the body and work on the entire frame. There are always regrets when you avoid instincts.....I have to keep saying to myself, what's the rush, do it right...this will probably be my last project car....at least a compromise is knowing that I can remove the body shell and while working on the frame, get the engine running too. I've ordered a new head gasket and probably have the engine ready to paint in a couple weekends.

Were all packard engines painted Green?

Posted on: 2009/5/30 17:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No, not all Packard engines were green, but they were for many years and yours should be so. You can hop on The Packard Club website for a complete listing of engine colors and years, but at various times they were black, gray, white, bronze, red, turquoise, etc. The 1955/56 years were a veritable rainbow compared to their prior history.

Posted on: 2009/5/30 17:25
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved