Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
229 user(s) are online (146 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 225

dick29, 37Blanche, humanpotatohybrid, r1lark, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Re: twin-ultamatic
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Check out these two threads

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=1075#forumpost1075

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=15307#forumpost15307

Unfortunately, Mike's Transmission is no longer an option but Jack Nordstrom who does the Studebaker Golden Hawk conversions is. I don't know how much more would be involved in the Hawk conversion to the Packard but I expect there would a bit due to different crossmember, shift linkage, etc.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 17:24
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
Thanks for the information..I need to do a lot more investigaiting...any other information is appreciated.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 17:33
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

chad hoover
See User information
what ever you do DO NOT put that 200 4r in it!. the vibration problem with the ultra-torgue kit is due to the adapter shaft. there have been issues with the bolt patterns not being centered when they were machined. already been down this road. it's a good kit and if you know how to set it up, it's great. the people i have talked to that did the th 400 conversion said it's no where near as good of a kit.

so my advice is: either build the t/u, or do the ultra-torque conversion. use a 91-93 dodge truck trans. that way you get the overdrive and the only added modification is a vac. swith to activate the o/d.

But have a Great, OLD (i.e. experienced) tranny shop set it up!

Posted on: 2009/6/8 18:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

mikec
See User information
dodge truck trannies got overdrive in 92, and its electrically controlled. You would need to use a Potentiometer to controll the shift point for the OD. It may have been earlier for the light duty units, but for a V-8 Packard, id go heavy duty.

I was actually going to ask about tranny swaps myself, since i hope to not need major components from my parts car, and i was thinking a nostalgia drag racer and fast cruiser would be nice. someday waaaaaay down the road.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 20:17
Daily Driver:
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
OR, put a 4 speed manual trans in it and never worry about trans problems again, as long as you know how to drive one.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Not much point to owning an exquisit automobile without overdrive unless it is strictly used for profiling or racing.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 20:59
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Quote:
Not much point to owning an exquisit automobile without overdrive unless it is strictly used for profiling or racing.

Or if you want it stock with the stock Ultramatic in it.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 21:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Yeah, but if u do alot of interstate driving the overdrive will in the long run, save alot of engine and gas.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 21:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
Keith,what kind of tranny do you have in your exec? If it is still the TU then explain to me:
If the only thing u want to do is poke along at 40 mph and do a little show or parade profileing then just rebuild the T'Ultra.
versus
I dare anyone to keep up with me and my Exec!

You can't have it both ways!

And I regularly run 65-70 on the Pa Turnpike. And have been know to go much faster.

Posted on: 2009/6/8 22:19
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

55Car
See User information
Thanks for the information, does any one actually have the information on what is included in the conversion for the 727 or the th400? Or pictures on what needs to be done? Do i need to fabricate any plates to make it bolt to the engine, what torque converter can I use? On either transmission so I just have to drill the existing bell housing after I make a jig or match it to the twin's bell?

Thanks to everyone for the inforamtion....

Posted on: 2009/6/9 6:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved