Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
90 user(s) are online (61 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 89

todd landis, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Vapor Lock on the '55 Clipper Suoer
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Trog
See User information
When I finally made it home yesterday I should have (always 20-20 hindsite) raised the hood and checked the bowl filter at the carburetor inlet to verify it was boiling. I am going to remove the extra filter screwed into the electric pump since it is the most restrictive and I have the clear filter ahead of it and the original bowl filter at the carb. inlet. With clean gas tank and lines, I don't need all that filtration anymore.
Also I have seen it recommended numerous times and have done that in my Hudsons of adding ~ 8 oz. of Marvel Mystery Oil to the gas tank to help alleviate the problem. Some say a little diesuel fuel will help, but I'll just go with the MMO.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 14:32
 Top  Print   

Re: Vapor Lock on the '55 Clipper Suoer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The line between the pump and the carburetor (with the glass filter) is the least-likey place to have vapor lock because the fuel is alternately under the pressure of the pump (3-5 psi) which raises the boiling point.

Removing the filters may very well help, and the MMO may also. I'd also suggest you remove the outlet line at the tank and the inlet to the pump, plug at one end and attach to a vacuum pump to see if it will hold a vacuum - the smallest of air leaks, even those so small they don't leak gasoline, can give similar problems.

Posted on: 2009/6/21 14:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved