Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
209 user(s) are online (113 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 208

Tobs, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Anyone ever rebuild a water pump?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Not don't agree that the repro pumps fail after a 100 miles, I have experience with a Kanter repro which is functioning quietly and efficiently after many miles, and of course if you have problems Kanter's warranty is pretty solid. I think the choice depends more on whether you can afford the layup time to remove the pump and send it out, or whether you want to complete the job in one day. But for sure I'd not buy a repro pump in a situation where the core was required!

While the pump is out, don't neglect to check the water distribution tube. When changing a pump on the 22nd/23rd series, I recommend first removing the lower bolts the stamped steel yoke of the front engine mount, then jacking the engine up an inch or so with a large block of wood under the front of the oil pan, and then removing the front mount (and replacing the rubber if needed); it makes access to the lower pump bolt much simplier. Also when you remove the pump bolts, don't forget to note which ones require a flat copper washer for water-sealing.

Posted on: 2009/6/23 12:20
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
THus far it looks like Goullds $90 rebuild is the best way to go.

The $90 isn't too bad. What does a kit cost???

Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
39 Pickle. Tell us more about the repro pump. Does it leak from the gasket or the seal at the bearing???? Have u determined what makes it noisy?????? Have u taken it apart or what???

Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
AS far as requireing an original core as exchange on a repop that is strictly suspicous at best.
8 or 10 years ago when i first started to study the V8 oil pump issue i called V2V a well touted vendor. I wanted to buy a rebuilt pump outright. Requested a "plugged" late 56 oil pump. The vendor did not sell them outrite and indicated that no such late plugged pump ever existed. A few minutes later, i indicated i was holding such a late 56 pump in my hand. All of a sudden his mood changed real fast and said "oh! oh! yes!, send me THAT pump to rebuild"

iF U SEND ANYONE A CORE, MAKE SURE THAT ONE IS REBUILT!

Posted on: 2009/6/23 15:52
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
The repo one I got is from Max. I let them keep the core deposit when I got it because there was no way I was sending them my original one even on a trade for what they sent me. The casting quality is marginal and the finish on the mating surfaces is no where close to what the original one is. I think this is part of the sealing problem, which I could never figure out. It leaks around the gaskets, but not all the time. It will just drop about 1/2 cup of coolant at random, for no apparent reason, sometimes just for sitting a few days. The noise is the bearing, which is wierd too, because it is a chatter and does not leak, and feels smooth as glass when turned by hand with the belt off. Anyway, a kit is about 60 or 70 bucks, kind of a no brainer.

Gould Rebuilders (631) 269-0093

Posted on: 2009/6/24 6:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thanks for the analysis. So it is very evident that the repop is a NEW casting and not an OEM core casting????

THe chatter is a mystery. The only thing i can think of is minimal lube in the bearings or alignment of the shaft is not square with the mating surface of the pump/block.

No doubt, the new casting is probably bored differently to accept some more common off-the-shelf rebuild kit.

What do they charge for the repop???

Posted on: 2009/6/24 8:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the alignment of the water pump pully to the crank pully. Maybe it setting too far in toward the pump or too far out away from the pump. Or more simply put, not in the same plane with the crank pully by alot. Should show alot of belt wear tho but not necessarily.

Posted on: 2009/6/24 8:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

packardpartspuller
See User information
It's import that some mis-information on this posting is cleared up. First, some suppliers are selling repo water pumps be assured that Max Merritt is not, our water pumps use original Packard castings, as evident on the casting # on the pump. We do our best to insure that all pumps sent out to our rebuilder are in good condition and our rebuilder does his part in quality checks and the rebuilding process. We know this because of our low return rate of pumps with defects and unfixable cores returned to us. But in any business dealing with parts new or used there are problems and we do our best to correct them as they arise. Your cores are being reused to keep Packards on the road, if you chose to have you core rebuild by someone we can supply you with the parts as needed, as always check the manufacture specifications for proper torque sequence and fluid usage. Keep the wheels turning and the oil burning.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 12:31
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

ecvpaul
See User information
I ended up buying my pump from Max Merritt. It arrived quickly and works great. No noises or any other problems.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 13:20
1947 Clipper Deluxe (parts), 1947 Super Clipper Eight Touring Sedan. ECV, XPBC, XNGH, XCP, HA #VII
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Quote:

packardpartspuller wrote:
It's import that some mis-information on this posting is cleared up. First, some suppliers are selling repo water pumps be assured that Max Merritt is not, our water pumps use original Packard castings, as evident on the casting # on the pump.

Just so no one is mis-informing anyone else, the pump I got from Max Merritt has no casting #s or stampings, or markings of any kind. And, as previously noted, exhibits a casting quality FAR inferior to a Packard casting. It's performance in usage is also leaky-noisy as previously discussed. I don't really see how these postings contain any mis-information. If you send me 115.00 plus postage, I'll be more than happy to drop it in the mail for your thorough analysis/comment.

Posted on: 2009/7/21 17:22
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved