Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
175 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 173

Charles, crunch, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

My Design for a '30 745 Speedster Sport Phaeton
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

One design frequently leads to another, this is my color rendering for a '30 745 Speedster Sport Phaeton. It was inspired by the Roadster-Phaeton by LeBaron on the '29 Stutz Model M, for proportions and details.

Yes, I know, no such chassis was built. But, for a never extant custom body design, might as well build in on a never extant chassis. The idea of a 745 chassis with the 734 powertrain is an intriguing one.

Enjoy!

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (38.62 KB)
409_4a8349a15ed77.jpg 789X391 px

Posted on: 2009/8/12 18:00
 Top  Print   

Re: My Design for a '30 745 Speedster Sport Phaeton
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
God that is beautiful!

Posted on: 2009/8/12 19:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Denny Z
See User information
GATSBY-ESQUE!

Posted on: 2009/8/14 17:09
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.
Dr. Seuss
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Beautiful rendition. It certainly has a styling flair like many European autos of the day. Very nice.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 9:43
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Turbopackman, Denny Z & JW

Thanks for the compliments, Gentlemen. Makes me feel good to know other Packard folks appreciate my design work and watercolor rendering art.

Overall credit has to go to the design masters of that brief, wonderful Classic era that will never be repeated. I just try to design what they might have after seeing their masterful custom body designs. All the more amazing as they had nothing to reference.

These color rendering I post will show you the Packards I would have in my dream garage if that were possible.

I've designed and rendered custom designs on other Classic marques, but must admit, Packard is my favorite.

More will be shown here as I complete them.

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/15 16:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm a big fan of dual-rear spares on certain styles and they sure look good on that car, a lovely design. A thought that occurs to me is to provide a corresponding slope to the hood vent doors that matches the existing slope line in the cowl and raised hood door panel.

The door treatment is a bit reminescent, not only of some LeBaron work, but also of some Baxter-Galle, Hibbard & Darrin, and even Rollston designs.

Posted on: 2009/8/15 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Owen_Dyneto

Thanks for "and they sure look good on that car, a lovely design"

Sidemounted spares were not loved by the custom designers then as they visually interrupted the emphasis on hood length and clean appearance they preferred.

As the shape of the lower sill line changed from simply straight of the '20's to the dropped, over-the-frame configuration in the early '30's, sidemounts hid the departure point and shapeliness, such as seen on my design. The rear-mounted spares look much more sporty, especially when they're duals. The Europeans preferred them by indication of period photos, especially for sporting styles, even formal types.

I'll admit, I like sidemounts more on the formal styles, they give the car an important, imposing bearing.

The gently curved door bottom edges appear on custom bodies from all those you list as well as many others. They just add more visual interest, compliment other design elements.

On the angled hood doors: I've sketched them angled parallel to the rear hood edge/windshield angle as you suggest. They look great, though strike me more appropriate for '32-'33 designs. We had the pleasure of seeing those on some of the handsomest '33 & '34 designs, the '34 Hupmobiles are a good example.

Another interesting variation I've sketched are doors on the raised panel that fan in shape from vertical at the front to angled at the rear.....looks very Art-Deco!

Steve

Posted on: 2009/8/16 8:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Just bumping these together for use at Hershey

Posted on: 2009/10/4 7:07
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved