Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
210 user(s) are online (126 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 208

Vaughan, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Repairing Ultramatic
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thanks Ross! My car doesn't have much power in reverse either, like JEW. I wonder if that is the band not being properly adjusted as well. I know the guy who installed the trans didn't know what he was doing. If I get a break in the weather before winter, I'll try to get the car out of it's ditch so I can try it. I'll probably start a new thread when I realize I don't know what the adjuster screw looks like!

Posted on: 2009/10/7 17:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
It is good to have a knowledgeable person respond to the questions with some expertise. Thanks Ross.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 18:35
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

JEW
See User information
Can it really be as simple as adjusting a band? I have rebuilt many motors in my life but transmissions have always scared me. I'll have to look through the manuals and see if there is a easy way to adjust the bands I guess.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 15:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
It would make sense since you are only having trouble with low and reverse. Those are the only ones that use bands. Might just be the solution to my problem too. Good luck!

Posted on: 2009/10/8 17:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
reading all this stuff makes me really happy i am going to try to rebuild my trans myself.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 20:02
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

davegnh
See User information
What about this guy?-->http://www.ultramaticdynamics.com/

Posted on: 2009/10/8 20:16
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
i have been in contact with this person before, not really nice at the time, maybe he was having an off day, idk.

i am also trying to save some money.

Posted on: 2009/10/8 20:25
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mike
See User information
I'm glad i checked back in this thread! I'm going to have my motor out, so i'll yank the tranny, check the seals and adjust the bands, etc. and fill it properly. I'm betting with a low range band adjustment, correct fluid level and some new gaskets, mine will go like new.

heres hoping right? Now to see how it does behind that 4 barrel 327 with a new carter carb....

Posted on: 2009/10/9 20:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Fred Puhn and/or JEW...Any luck getting your transmissions in working order? Just curious. I have not had a chance to try adjusting my bands yet (or get the car out of the rut it's in). Other cars have needed my attention.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 19:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fred Puhn
See User information
On a local reference I took the Packard to a local shop in the town of Lakeside. Two very experienced guys work there and they have lots of old cars in work. They first pulled the pan and found bits of band lining in the oil. Then they pulled the transmission out and showed me all sorts of problems with the worn clutch facings and the crumbling bands. They got the parts, assembled everything, and put it back together last Friday. They said the car worked fine except for the darn problem I started with, not releasing the clutches when slowing to a stop. They were going to fix either the governor or the valve body they said. More news to come. I will give you the name of the shop after I drive the car and get the final bill. So far they appear quite good and honest.

Posted on: 2009/11/15 22:41
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved