Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (109 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 191

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 13 »

Re: Packard TSB 56T-20 - Low Oil Pressure
Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I'll try the extra quart of oil first. I also did an oil change, although the oil looked good as new and went to Rotella 15/40 after I first heard the lifter clatter or whatever it was. It quietened it down some but, I don't know if it was because it liked the Rotella better or if the oil had thinned out too much, even though it looked good and there was no debris in the old oil when I drained it.And the filter looked good as new and there was no dirt or anything (metal shavings, etc) in the hole at the top of the drain plug. But, I will pull the pan and see what, if anything is in there.

PackardV8, I missed your one note regarding the pan.

I doubt it has ever been pulled but, no way of knowing for sure. I know of no reason unless the other owner had engine problems which I doubt, because there is no indication the head heads or head bolts were removed, the paint is still good and no wrench marks anywhere, unless the mechanic doing the work was the most conscientious one to ever pick up a tool.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
It's possible that your noise (i can't hear it so i can only go by your description) is maybe due to the overhead not getting enuf oil. Strikes me as odd that your drained engine oil is so clean.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 22:34
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bowman. Since the oil is so clean i would hold off on pulling the pan so fast. Rather pull the left valve cover (it's ez) and then run the engine with valve cover removed to see if there is enuf oil getting to the rockers.

Maybe just clean out the rocker shafts will cure the noise.

I don't know. I like to do ez things that are cheap to do first. THen go from there.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 22:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
The drained oil didn't have very many running hours on it but, I was also very surprised how clean it was. It had that honey color to it on the dip stick and on the white cloth I used to wipe the stick with. I did 4 or 5 previous oil changes since buying the car about 4 1/2 years ago. even though the oil looked pretty good when I bought it, I changed it immediately and checked it for debris but, didn't find anything to worry about.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 22:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
oh. ok. Low mileage on the oil. However, pulling the left valve cover to take a look and check for oiling there is good first idea.

My very low mileage, always garage kept Executive had rocker shaft oil holes plugged up at 34K miles. Inside of overhead otherwise looked very clean except for valve seal debris. Such debris was also later dicovered in the pump screen. The valve seals that Packard used are the funky umbrella type that ride on the stem. Poor choice of valve seal by Packard E'ngring.

Posted on: 2009/10/28 22:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
I agree about doing the EZ things first. I almost pulled the valve cover but changed my mind after getting really good compression and vacuum test results, but it probably a good idea to go ahead and do it and actually make sure exactly what is happening in there.
After I get the distributor back in and the timing right the noise may disappear. If not I'll pull the cover and if every thing looks ok, I'll add a pint or two of oil to see if that helps. If that doesn't help I'll do the reroute of 1/4" tubing from the sender location and check for air bubbles in the filter cannister. If no problems are found at tihis point I would be thinking CARBON BUILD UP and try to decarbon it.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 11:14
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

BH
See User information
Rather than just adding a pint or two of oil, you may want to try a dose of STP Oil Treatment. It's not just "snake oil".

I've had good luck in resolving some oil-related issues (and not just in Packard product or antique vehicles) after using it over the course of 2-3 oil changes performed at regular intervals (giving it time to work). I canonly conclude that the product breaks down varnish/carbon deposits which can build up in the engine over extended periods of non- or limited-use. Don't expect it to clean up a pile of sludge in the bottom of the heads or oil pan, though.

STP Oil Treatment is packaged in a 15 oz. bottle (slightly less than a pint), but I believe the instructions advised to use it in place of one (1) quart of oil. Use entire contents of one bottle at once. However, do NOT dump it into the crankcase of a cold engine.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Bowman,
If and when u do remove the left valve cover keep in mind that the idea is RUN THE ENGINE while the valve cover is removed. The idea to is see if there is any oil delivered to the overhead. Overheads running dry or nearly dry WILL CAUSE NOSIE at any speed! AND sticky valves especialy at higher rpm.

I thouroughly cleaned rocker SHAFT and the oil gallery and installed it during a timing chain and valve job i did on it. For a test drive i drove the car with hood off and valve covers REMOVED. I did this because i was suspicous of the overhead oiling design. After all, i had it all apart for the timing chain and valve job so i was able to analyze it at the time.

I drove the car for 10-15 miles round trip at speeds above 65 mph. thERE WAS VERY LITTLE oil on anything except where it ran down the side of the rocker shaft perches and a few streams along the bottom of the head.

Never so much as drop hit the windshield leta lone any outside of the head.

SO give it a try yourself. I contend that the valve covers are only there as dust shields.

When u remove the valve cover u will most likely see that the inside of the valve cover is dry as a bone.

* special note: non of the above applies to very EARLY 55's.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 13:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Also. THis is important. When the valve cover is removed be sure to inspect the VALVE SEAL on each valve stem. There are actualy two. One in the spring retainer and an umbrella type seal that rides on the stem.

It is the UMBRELLA seal ON THE STEM that needs to be inspected. NO other diassembly needed. Just look thru the spring with a good lite. Maybe poke at it lightly with a coat hanger to see if its real hard or soft.

These UMBRELLA seals that ride on the stem tend to get hard and break up after 4 or 5 years and 25 K miles or so. They plug up the overhead drain back AND PLUG up THE SCREEN ON THE OIL PUMP when little pieces break off.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 13:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Bowman Davis
See User information
PackardV8,I will do all of what you suggested. I also read (I think it yours)thread, saying you used a string and swabbing cloth to clean out the rocker shaft.

Why is the early 55's did not have the oiling issues.

Posted on: 2009/10/29 18:17
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 13 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved