Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

Patrick, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1607 won't charge
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

harold michaels
See User information
when ignition is turned on,amp gauge goes to full negative, and of course when engine is running it will not charge. my sense is short. disconneted elec. fuel pump, no change,coil wire from ignition switch seems to be ok, any thoughts?

Posted on: 2009/11/25 12:14
 Top  Print   

Re: 1607 won't charge
Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
To get the amp meter to full negative without seeing smoke from an accessorie circut ? Maybe a shorted voltage regulator or generator, those are the only 2 circuts I can think of that can handle that amp draw.(with key on)

Posted on: 2009/11/25 13:15
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Going to ask the obvious question. Are you sure the battery connection or Amp Gauge connection are not reversed? Switched polarity will make the AMP gauge move to discharge as it's reading backwards.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 14:08
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

harold michaels
See User information
could it also come from a disconnected ground wire either from the regulator,generator or whatever?

Posted on: 2009/11/25 14:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
Usally not a disconnected ground (+). (Although there is a ground wire that connects directly to the frame of the voltage reg.)
I have only seen this happen when a regulators points stick closed on the field side of the regulator. This energizes the generator when the key is switched on ,turning the generator into a motor.In theory it might be possible for the armeture side to stick also,I haven't seen that.
Disconnect the regulator and see if you still get a large draw. I think you can find the diagnostic manual on this site for charging systems.

If my poor memory is correct,all the accessorie circuts run through the headlamp switch - if you don't find the charging system at fault this might be the next place to look. Use the search feature to locate a wiring diagram on this site.

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:22
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

harold michaels
See User information
ok, here's what I tried after finding the fault in the ignition coil or coil wire. I bypassed the ignition switch hot wired + to fuel pump,starter switch,cut the coil wire to the ig.switch and hot wired that together, bingo! works great also tried coil wire direct to the batterer y ,bingo,bingo. just don't know whether I should be doing this till I locate another Ignition switch .a little bit of knowledge is dangerous

Posted on: 2009/11/25 15:52
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved