Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
230 user(s) are online (145 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 229

Stewart Ballard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

6th Series Bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Does anyone have any hints on how to remove the rear bearing cap for a 1929 640 Custom Eight engine without damaging it? It is such a close fit in the crankcase that it won't budge.

Thanks,

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2009/12/16 13:24
 Top  Print   

Re: 6th Series Bearings
Home away from home
Home away from home

Eric Boyle
See User information
Have you tried tapping on it from front to back with a rubber or plastic headed mallet? A lot of the time when I can't get something off like a main cap that I don't want damaged I use a hard plastic mallet and it'll knock it loose rather quickly. If the engine's a little corroded in that area I'd apply some PB Blaster to it as well. Just watch your swings and don't hit too hard and it'll come loose.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 16:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Thomas Wilcox
See User information
On my 7th series standard eight we gently jacked the crank up (evenly, on both ends) and used a rubber mallet to get a little space. Then much wiggling.

Posted on: 2009/12/16 17:12
--
Thomas Wilcox
34 Roadster, [url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/r
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Had already tried your suggestion without success.

Thanks,

Jim Wayman

Posted on: 2009/12/17 12:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Had already tried to jack the crank, thus pushing up the bearing and cap. No success.

Thanks,

Jim Wayman

Posted on: 2009/12/17 12:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
With all the main bearing caps in place and loosened a very small but equal amount, put #1 and #8 pistons at about TDC and apply some compressed air to the two cylinders. Leave them pressurized for a time if need be.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 16:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Good suggestion. I have already taken the block off of the crankcase. If I can't find another solution, I may have to reassemble.

Thanks,

Jim Wayman

Posted on: 2009/12/17 16:40
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is there any rust evident??????

get 2wo round bars about the same size as the bolt holes in the cap and 16 inches long or thereabouts. Insert a rod in each hole. Pry backwards and forwards and from side-to-side. Maybe have an accomplace tap on the SIDES of the cap using a little hammer english on a down stroke as he raps.

Posted on: 2009/12/17 17:40
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jimw
See User information
Thanks for the hint. Finally got the cap off with a combination of methods. Put a space heater next to to bellhousing end for several hours to warm up the crankcase in that area. Then put a sling on the crank flange and raised up the rear end of the crankcase upside down to put pressure on the cap. Then put a small engineer's jack between the top of the bellhousing and the crank flange and screwed it as far as possible. Alternately tapping downward on the crankcase flange at each side of the bearing cap and tightening up on the jack and it cam out after about two hours of slow work. Although I had been told that the bearings were good, it is a good thing I removed the crank. Obviously never been apart. Some scoring of the crank and burning of bearings. Anyone know of a good babbit shop in the Denver area?

Thanks to all,

Jim Wayman
640 Phaeton

Posted on: 2009/12/18 23:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

gunnison
See User information
Jim, do you still own the 7-40 coupe? JP

Posted on: 2009/12/21 17:17
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved