Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: How many Packards are left?
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
Actually they claimed that over 53% of all Packards built since 1899 are still in use.

I am sure they are still in use. As Washing Machines, Metal Guard rails, & shell casings.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 19:45
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
Quote:
For the US, 50 per state average seems very low. My father has 11 Packards himself. With his local (southeastern PA) club buddies, they've easily got 30 to 40 together.

That figure was for 50 1911 Brand X vehicles still in existence, not a grand total for all Packards divided by state.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 19:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Guys, that 53% figure is in a graphic published in 1956 by Packard, and used half-a-century later by Kanters onthe catalog cover.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 19:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
So by 1956, only 1/2 of the Packards ever produced were left? That would be somewhere to start calculating then.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:00
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
The picture on Kanter catalog was just a reprint of a Packard advertising piece. From the Picture archive here:

Click to see original Image in a new window

Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:12
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R Anderson
See User information
I remember reading in insurance co literature that after 10 years approx 10% are left as registered and on the road, of course that does not take in to account barn stored cars etc.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 20:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
That photo dates from at least 1948, when the '48 Super Eight Convertible was pictured in the center of the photo. Packard added a new car every year. The last one featured a 1958 (!) model.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 21:36
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Manuel Glez
See User information
Just a short note to tell you that my Packard Registry in Spain has almost 100 Packards left in Spain in good condition (running condition), and perhaphs other ten non-running Packards.

Most of them are pre-war models, and I only have 11 post-war cars.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 22:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I believe the best way to estimate is to gather general member observations. Probably 3hree such observations from each state.

Here in middle TN. and over the last 12 years i can count 30 Packards. That would be for about 1/3 of the state. SO I would call it 90 for the state of TN.
Over the last 12 years i've been thru nearly every county in middle Tn. on several occasions each county. However, i'm sure that there are other Packards out there i've never run across. Many of the 30 i've counted thus far were only discovered by happenstance while pursueing other bussiness.

The problem is that with recent scrap metal prices it is strictly guess work as to how many went to the crusher. Of the 30 i've counted so far i would think that only about 12 of the 30 were well wasted enuf to go to the crusher.

My guess would be at least 5000 extant. Perhaps as many as 30,000

Posted on: 2010/1/8 22:46
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Over the years i've ran into the following example several times among different badges:

I know of a 37 Buick that has been kept in a garage since 1983 (27 years). I know it's still there because i talk to the owner on occasion from time to time about other bussiness. He won't sell it. Since it is local i am fairly certain that only his son i and the owner are the only people that know about it. THis is based on other incidences that i won't go into. He won't sell it and won't do anything with it. It's a fairly nice car.

Ditto for other incidences of vintage tin such as an L29, Cushmans ( many), HD's, Indians, a 56 Olds and a somewhat recent 41 pACKARD convert/coupe among others.

There are also situations where collectibles are kept secret from family members, especialy wives and girl friends. Mostly includes guns, Motorcycles. AND a few cars. Usualy kept out and away from view and for a long time.

Posted on: 2010/1/8 23:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved