Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
151 user(s) are online (112 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 150

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Cylinder head?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Took the old Packard for a spin around town this afternoon, it was a nice dry day here in Connecticut. The car ran great as usual. When we got home, everyone went inside and I did my typical nose around under the hood, you know; oil, coolant, just look at it, etc. I noticed coolant ponding in the #2 spark plug recess, about deep enough to reach the hex on the plug. I sopped that out and started it back up and noticed what appears to be steam venting from around the plug threads, as far as I can tell. That can't be good, bad gasket? Cracked head? Any thoughts? It's a new one on me. The coolant is tested down to -45 degrees F, I think the low all year has been 6 above. Thanks!

Posted on: 2010/1/18 17:36
 Top  Print   

Re: Cylinder head?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
Most likely a blown head gasket. Take out the plugs and have a look. Any plugs that are perfectly clean, came from a cylinder with a blown gasket. I suspect the gasket is blown between cylinder #2 and #3.

Head gaskets are not too hard to replace, easier than on an OHV engine anyway.

Do not run the engine with antifreeze in the oil, it can take out your bearings.

Posted on: 2010/1/18 18:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks Rusty, kind of what I figured (and hoped!) I did notice some minor bubbling between the head and block in that area this past fall and knew the time was short. Nothing in the oil though, but I'm sure thats not far behind... BTW, what does that head weigh anyway? (245 Six) I only ask because this is primarily a one-man job (me).

Posted on: 2010/1/18 19:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check head bolt torque first. How old is the gasket????

Posted on: 2010/1/18 19:31
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Richard Taylor
See User information
I would order a new head gasket and manifold gaskets.
The head is a little heavy , around 50 lbs or so.

I wouldn't run it any longer than I had to, if it fails it's possible to damage ring lands.

I found that wood shims work well getting the head past the studs, work your way around the head /block with several.
I broke out the centers of a couple of spark plugs and welded eye bolts in them .I use my engine hoist to help with the weight of the head.

RT

Posted on: 2010/1/18 20:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
If you retorqued the head when you first saw the minor bubbling it might have survived, now I am afraid you need to replace the gasket.

Head weight about 40 pounds for a six. Not too heavy but awkward to handle, so far under the hood. Can be done without a hoist but the hoist makes things easier.

Posted on: 2010/1/18 21:25
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

39Pickle
See User information
Thanks guys, your responses have helped ease my mind of some of those pesky what-ifs. About 200 miles ago, when I did the water pump, I had checked the head nuts and they were OK. As far as I can ascertain, the gasket is at least 50 years old. My history of the first owner up to 1952 is limited to a name and address only. Anyway, I'll run down some parts and pop that off there. I'm more than a little curious to look in there too, just to see. Doesn't look like a bad job either, the hard part is the weight. Is the gasket copper?

Posted on: 2010/1/19 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
Just a thought 39 . . . Seems strange the coolant pooling around the plug, as a tight plug with a decent (spark plug) washer I would have thought would be an 'airtight' seal. If not I guess pressure is high enough to be pushing steam past and this is condensing there to form a puddle.

Others are most probably right about blown head gasket, however here is a thought . . . .

I wonder how close the water jacket comes to the spark plug hole. Is it possible the head has cracked or corroded through between the plug hole / plug recess and the water jacket (which is allowing the coolant through)? Of course there might be a 'mile' of iron between the jacket and the plug, but I'd suggest checking for cracks anyway. Not much fun getting it all back together to find that you have a cracked (or possibly warped) head.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Larry51 makes and excellent point about the possibility of a cracked head.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:12
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Larry, an excellent observation and point. I wonder if it has an aluminum head? They were prone to cracking thru the plug holes, but if the head is cast iron and the plug is in securely, the leaking AF will go out the tail pipe and can't pool around the plug.

Guess we need more information.

Posted on: 2010/1/19 16:13
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved